 Trains / 24605
Re: Redesigned mini train wheel (!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:23:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark wrote:
This seems to have slipped by under the radar, but the mini train wheel has been
redesigned and improved by LEGO. The old one [1], available in M.O.W. cars,
Gringott's Bank, etc., was high friction, and tended to be very squeaky. The new
one [2], available in the Spiderman Train Rescue set [3], has a redesigned axle
hole which is low friction. Consequently, it rolls more freely, and squeaks
less. There's four in the set.

The easy way to tell them apart is that the old style has a round axle hole, and
the new style has an X-shaped axle hole (which is too small for a Technic axle).
If you have really good eyesight, the old style is printed with the number 2927,
and the new style has the number 50254.

Rick C.

1. <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2927>
2. <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/50254>
3. <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4855>

Oddly enough when I noticed it my excitement turned into disappointment. From
what I could tell on the box art in the store, I thought it was actually an axle
hole, and I had a mini-celebration for a minute there. Then when I got home and
opened the damn thing, I realised I was wrong after all :-( Oh well, I'll settle
for ANY improvment. Less squeak? Great! (Haven't really used the wheels much yet
so I wouldn't know personally, though.)

Legoswami