 Technic / 16375
Re: New Crane...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:02:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Alvin Brant wrote:
Well, after many dissapointments over the weekend:

Ouch. That's a birds-nest mess of string you got there :-) But looks like it
faired better than my crane that decided to go down in a hurry (serious operator
error :-)
http://texbrick.com/creations/msg_50/msg50_8.jpg

Looks like I need to stiffen up the boom a bit...

There sill is going to be a fixed jib added for the lifting test, and a Luffing
jib added to try and break my previous record for height!  I am hoping for 22 or
23 feet on this one!

Hope you all enjoy!

-Alvin.

You're dealing with a relatively shallow boom cross section (i.e. thickness is
fairly thin compared to length). I don't think you'll see much improvement
unless you make the boom cross section thicker (deeper), which unfortunately,
you probably can't if you're keeping things in scale.

Also, you have doubled-up beams for the main chords on your boom truss, and that
is adding a lot of weight to the boom. You could probably do without
double-beams. Since you have a double boom (side-by-side twin booms), then with
single-beam main chords you'd still have 8 Technic beams as your minimum cross
section. That's plenty strong.

You might consider re-designing your truss pattern so that the joints line up on
one hole (example: http://texbrick.com/creations/msg_50/truss.jpg). But I'm
thinking that will only give you slight improvement in overall truss stiffness.
It's plastic, not steel :-)