 Technic / 16285
Re: New Crane...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:08:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gordon Bentley wrote:
I can't see from your photos how you're stopping the main structure lifting off
the base.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but crane turntables hold the superstructure down so
the load moment is transferred to the crawler base. I've seen photos of cranes
tipping and they don't fall off the turntable, they take the base with them.

This is correct.  Real cranes have roller bearings that are pinned in place that
bear the weight and force of the superstructure where it is connected to the
base.

I've had a couple of (incomplete) goes at a crawler, and I've used two
turntables, one inverted, with the centres tied together and to the
superstructure, and the outer rings locked into the base. That way, the
superstructure can't detach from the base.

I am going to use a threaded axle through the center to hold the plates down,
and then typical beams and plates connected perpindicularly by vertical beams to
hold down the rest...(still working on the final design)

Great looking model so far though.

Thanks!  Check back in from time to time for updated progress!

Regards