 Technic / 16243
Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:14:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote:
Brian Davis wrote:

I'd be very interested in that experiment (using a Hobby train RC on the PW
Receiver)

The Short answer is NO.  I could not get the new IR train to control the
PF receivers either at full on, or with PWM.

My IR train, and PF gear are 100% incompatible.

It looks like the PF IR receiver will be very useful for train control and other
continuous duty applications. But the only remote available is for intermittent
operation.  So the only LEGO option to running in PWM/continuous duty is to use
a RCX or NXT brick, with a RCX remote or blue-tooth remote to control it.

And I'm assuming that a new PF IR train remote will only have a single continues
motor control, with perhaps a light, and "other" intermittent output.

How difficult would it be to implement the PF protocols in a handheld IR remote
using programmable chip like a PIC or PICAXE? A replacement pc board for the
current PF or train remote, or the Krana remote would be nice.

Would a programmable(not universal) "TV" remote be able to learn codes from a
RCX?

Mat Clayson