 General / 54495
Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 22:12:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.general, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

The LEGO company just released a document detailing the complete protocol
used by Power Functions RC receiver.

In collaboration with Jason Railton I have modified/extended the NBC and NXC API
functions for the HiTechnic iRLink device in support of the newly documented
Power Function modes as well as the R/C Train IR protocol.  I uploaded a new
test_release zip to the BricxCC page with NBC and BricxCC executable updates
with these new API functions included in the compiler and BricxCC syntax
highlighter/code completion support for NBC and NXC programs.  These updates
will be in the next beta release of NBC/NXC and the next official BricxCC
release.

<snip>

Nicely done John!

Is there a tentative timeframe when NQC for the RCX will be updated to support
IR to the LEGO powerfunctions?

Dave K

I doubt that's possible - a bytecode program just can't run fast enough to do
the timing for the IR commands, on either brick.  The NXT can only manage it
because it sends them over a slow comms link to a HiTechnic IRLink sensor, then
that handles the actual transmission.  The only way the RCX could do it with
it's built-in IR LED is to code the functions into a replacement firmware, as
with Bob Kojima's BrickOS example:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=54443

Jason R