 Technic / 16190
Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:10:19 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mathew Clayson wrote:

As you can see this opens up a new world of possibilities...

Has anyone tried the rc train remote on a power function
reciver to see if it uses the single output pwm control
signals? If not, hopefully the new RC train system will be
compatible.

I'd be very interested in that experiment (using a Hobby train RC on the PW
Receiver) as well, but this does answer a number of questions for trains. For
instance, tunnels and large layout out of line-of-sight on the RC should now be
possible. You could run a large number of trains (more than four, or perhaps
eight) as long as you were OK with only commanding them in a small "control
zone". and the ability to set the pin power individually makes accessories
(lights, horns) easy to control... and with two independent motors, something
like an engine with a coupler/uncoupler or a working crane becomes a
possibility, all controlled by a single RC unit.

For robotics, this is even more interesting. No more busy Loops to keep
commanding the PF receiver to prevent it from timing out! I'm also wondering if
with a custom cable you could run three motors (set pin one to 0V (ground), and
use that as a common ground for three small motors, with hot leads on pins 2, 3,
& 4). You could certainly use it to control some LEDs. But it's the existence of
the PWM and no timeout abilities that have me most intrigued. Like Chris
mentioned in a different (with a 1.0 RCX controling these new modes), watching
the Bulldozer or other large Technic creations crawling around under PWM would
be a vast improvement.

Now, now to get all this in an NXT-G blocks :).

--
Brian Davis