 Technic / 16190
  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) I'd be very interested in that experiment (using a Hobby train RC on the PW Receiver) as well, but this does answer a number of questions for trains. For instance, tunnels and large layout out of line-of-sight on the RC should now be possible. (...) (16 years ago, 26-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) I did this experiment a while ago, I just presumed everyone else has as well. The Short answer is NO. I could not get the new IR train to control the PF receivers either at full on, or with PWM. My IR train, and PF gear are 100% incompatible. (...) (16 years ago, 26-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) It looks like the PF IR receiver will be very useful for train control and other continuous duty applications. But the only remote available is for intermittent operation. So the only LEGO option to running in PWM/continuous duty is to use a (...) (16 years ago, 31-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) Here's my fantasy: implementing prototypical ATC (Automatic Train Control) signalling with sensors (e.g. counting coupler magnets, as the best functional equivalent to axle counters) at block boundaries to detect block occupancy, and IR (...) (16 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)