 General / 54535
Re: PF IR RC protocol released! - NXC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:16:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

The LEGO company just released a document detailing the complete protocol
used by Power Functions RC receiver.

In collaboration with Jason Railton I have modified/extended the NBC and NXC API
functions for the HiTechnic iRLink device in support of the newly documented
Power Function modes as well as the R/C Train IR protocol.  I uploaded a new
test_release zip to the BricxCC page with NBC and BricxCC executable updates
with these new API functions included in the compiler and BricxCC syntax
highlighter/code completion support for NBC and NXC programs.  These updates
will be in the next beta release of NBC/NXC and the next official BricxCC
release.

http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/test_release.zip

Many thanks John and Jason for your work on this.  I am a comparative newbie to
NXC programming but I have my NXT working like a PF IR remote handset now that I
set up the sensor correctly!

NXC has given me the programming environment to replace the VB that I used with
my RCX (an NXT has no ActiveX control file so it could not use VB).  The 'C' is
returning to me from my university days!

With your HTPF commands and a few modded leads (the bottom right one here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2963520 ) to cascade a few IR
receivers, an NXT could now control up to 128 motors or 256 LEDs (like this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2957469 ) from one sensor port!

Could the NXC/NBC commands be extended to allow the IR Link sensor to receive PF
IR commands from a PF handset and convert them to PF channel, Motor A and Motor
B output variables (so that an NXT could act like a PF IR receiver)?

That would allow an NXT robot to interact with other PF robots in pack hunting
and other automatic machine activities, where motors move PF IR handset levers
like this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2391291

I suppose a receive function would put the data into one variable, so perhaps a
long integer of the 16-bit IR message would do, allowing the programmer to pick
bits out by ANDing.

Mark