 Technic / 14382
  Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

I don't know if any of you saw this fabulous pneumatic hexapod, but my friend Sigurd van Starkenberg: (URL) walks forward, backward and turns right and left. The thing that makes this superior to prior work is an elbow mid arm, that lengthens for (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.robotics) !

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

VERY cool robot. As computer science student, I'm always interested in new and unusual robots. Your friend wouldn't have some instructions for building this robot, would he? Or perhaps a webpage with more information? - Allan "Kevin L. Clague" (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:IK55Eu.CpK@lugnet.com... (...) I hope there is a video of this somewhere. It is awesome construction and circuitry. I would love to see it in action. Bob Fay (URL) (19 years ago, 24-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Hi Allan, I'm hoping that Sigurd will figure out how to post here. He became interested in pneumatics about a year ago, after studying my pneumatic creatures on my page: www.kclague.net. I don't think either of us have building instructions (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) If theres ever a blueprint of this one I´d like a copy...never tried to build something like it but might try some day... How many Pneumatic Cylinders (18+4?) and Switches (52?) were used? Andréas (19 years ago, 25-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Hi Andreas, Given my email exchanges with Sigurd, I believe that the circuit is a variation of the circuit I designed for my Quad242: (URL) If so, you can find out more about the circuit design here: (URL) It looks like each leg has three (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

hi it's heavy :) why two legs haven't last segment cylinders connected to the circuit? pixel "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:IK55Eu.CpK@lugnet.com... (...) friend (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

Hi Pixel, The walker was built to someday be able to talk in any direction, not just forwards/backwards. Sigurd, didn't have enough pneumatic hardware to make this version omni-directional. This left the two side legs elbows disconnected. I have (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

thanx kevin for the explanation walker's masterpiece btw: how about scorpion is this project still alive (sorry i'm in my dark ages so i'm not following all topics carefully enough) in fact i'm a little bit forced to be in DA some of you maybe (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

I am currently working on a eight legged walker that may end up being ssclagorpion, but who knows. It is using a new central timing circuit that should allow it to complete the walking sequence in four piston transitions. I had been in a DA for (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Will this new central timing circuit allow you to attach touch sensors, so, if you wanted, you could track the state of the walker with an RCX? Just curious. :) Steve (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Yes, it should be just as doable as it would be with the quad-242 circuit. You could either use four switches to examine the timing circuit, or two switches to examine a leg. (...) ;^) (...) Kevin (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

hi kevin and steve it should be the first moc where the rcx would be let's say a slave to pneumatic circuit am i right guys :D pixel "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:IKEEqD.A0B@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Sounds like an ideal application for an RCX input multiplexer: (URL) You can then have 12 switches on your RCX to measure two positions on each of 6 legs. Using the thermometer setting on the ports, each combination of switches is (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Will this be needed if we always have at least four feet locked into weight bearing state at a time? I've incorporated your folding/locking table leg into this walker. You will want touch sensors to avoid falling off the table though I guess. (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) This is very much like input multiplexor I created when inventing my first pneumatic adding machine. The muxing was needed to create my 16 key keyboard. (URL) can see the resistor ladder network stack to the right of the keyboard. Also you can (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) LOL! Well, in fact, when SSClagorpion is further along, the RCX will control two pneumatic multiplexors that control forward/reverse and turning/walking. With this new circuit the changes from turning/not turning, and forward reverse should be (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  SSC (was Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!)

(...) Will it be necessary to switch anything at a specific time? For example, if SSC is walking forward, and it takes 3/4 of a step, then levers are flipped to make it turn (which would be reversing the legs on one side), to complete the "current" (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: SSC (was Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!)

(...) No. The central timer is unchanged by switching from forward to reverse, or walk to turn. The things that do change behavior are the leg sweep pistons. These will do their best to accommidate the change, which may not have any affect until the (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: SSC (was Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!)

(...) I should say it would look more 'natural'. How easy will it be to install a normally closed (while the foot is in the air) touch sensor in the foot? Will the feet be required to do much rotating and/or sliding while taking a step? (I assume it (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: SSC (was Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!)

(...) Given that I have not designed the feet yet, I don't know. (...) I have not finished the feet, but I was planning on providing an ankle that rotates about the Y axis, so that foot rotation is limited. A certain amount of sliding is expected. (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: SSC (was Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!)

(...) Your walking stuff is always very popular, as it is. Don't worry, I'm not pushing for anything. I already have about five other projects that need to be completed in the next ELEVEN days... Steve (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) finaly i figure out how to post here :) just got a mail says they are redy to accept my post's (...) check my brickshelf galery in the aa map..... hopes that helps (...) sigurd (19 years ago, 3-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) i've tried to make a movie public on brickshelf but unfortunately it don't work, if you want to see it in action just send my a e-mail (...) (19 years ago, 3-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Best pneumatic hexapod yet!

(...) Hi Sigurd, According to Brickshelf: "Multimedia files are now available between 8pm and 10am EDT" so don't give up on it! ROSCO (19 years ago, 3-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)