 Technic / 11153
Re: News from Switzerland - Major Site Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:15:46 GMT

Beat,

My first reaction: WOW!!

This really is a masterpiece and it is …. HUGE!

I just saw the images of the complete model, but now I’m scrolling through the rest of it. And while I type this sentence I haven’t seen all jet. But I ask you some questions when I see something.

If I’m right, the motors of the driving mechanism are shown here.

How is it possible to drive the model? I mean, when it’s huge, it’s also very heavy :) And why did you use belts?

The idea of using bearings for the turntable looks a well solution. I saw many attempts. The only problems is your model has to be big to create enough room to house it. The ring is very smart by using Technic bricks :)

The interior is very well detailed. Did you had any photos of it? I can imagine it’s hard to find any info about such machinery, but while you very into mining equipment you may have your contacts. I always like it when people put a lot of time in the inside of a model. Most times they only pay attention to the exterior. Then a model a model isn’t finished is my opinion. I also saw you used a large gear. I guess it’s quite an old piece. Hopefully I can find some on Bricklink while I’ve plans to build a Menck M154. I didn’t knew such pieces exist. Thanks for showing it :)

On such a huge model you can use the motor cycle wheels. It’s only a shame they’re white, but does it bother it anyway? The idea of the end fittings of the ropes is well found!

The mast looks very sturdy. When the gantry is rather high placed it shouldn’t be any problem to luff it. Very nice to show on modelshows!! (any idea of showning it and demonstrate it during the Modelshow Europe???).

Or this the large gear non-LEGO?!?!? Haven’t seen those white ones before neither :(

The decals looks very professional. Did you made them yourself?

It’s amazing! It’s huge! It’s one of a kind! No-one has something like this! I always like seeying models which are very complex to build.

And the old-style CAT looks very well!

I just send the link to the people of the HHCMC. I’m the treasurer of the club. Four times a year we make our own club magazine. Because the club exist 10 years next year, someone had the idea to make four ‘specials’. One of those specials will be a ‘LEGO special’. Because your model is so special, I would like to know you would like to cooperate. If other enthausiast has some very interesting heavy equipment built of LEGO and they like the idea as well, just send me an e-mail. Maybe Jennifer would like to see her DEMAG in our magazine? Everyone liked it during the Modelshow Europe. So Beat, just let me know if you would like to visit the show :)

Dennis Bosman

In lugnet.technic, Beat Felber wrote:
   Hello all

You may believe it or not - I finally managed to finish work on my newest webpage update. After more than a year, ‘Engineering with ABS’ features new MOCs and new building hints.

So, what’s new in detail?

The first MOC I am proud to announce is a 1 / 28 scale model of the famous Mountaineer, a stripping shovel built by the Marion Power Shovel Company in 1956. http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/mountain.htm This model is fully functional: working hoist and crowd mechanism, swing drive, bottom dump bucket and an elevator for the crew, passing the turntable. Read the full story under the above mentioned link.

The second MOC is a Caterpillar D8 with Cable Operated Blade. It’s in the same scale as the Mountaineer and was built to show the huge dimensions of stripping shovels in reality. http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/catd8.htm

In the Building Hints section I added a page about sliding doors. This because I developed a new construction first used on the Mountaineer. http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/sdoors.htm

Finally, I slightly changed the overall layout of my homepage to increase readability. Hope you like it.

So have a look at http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b and let me know what you think...

Greetings from Switzerland

Beat