 Technic / 11162
Re: News from Switzerland - Major Site Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:23:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dennis Bosman wrote:

   If I’m right, the motors of the driving mechanism are shown here.
No, the motor shown here drives the steering mechanism. The drive motors are mounted on the bottom side of the main frame of the lower structure. There’s a motor for each crawler pair. Have a look at these two pictures: http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/pictures/mount09b.jpg http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/pictures/mount10b.jpg The drive assemblies can be seen on both of them.
   How is it possible to drive the model? I mean, when it’s huge, it’s also very heavy :) And why did you use belts?
The belts I always use in the first stage of the geartrain. There the momentum is still small enough that rubber belts are able to transfer it. But with these high speeds delivered by the motor, gears often transform themeselves into a lot of grey dust if they don’t engage absolutely perfect, means if there is a slight difference in the angle of the two axles relative to each other. This is why I use rubber belts. But as mentioned above, the picture shows the steering mechanism. The finished model could not move under its own power because it was just simply too heavy. Read more about this and other problems I encountered during construction in the story on my homepage.
   The interior is very well detailed. Did you had any photos of it? I can imagine it’s hard to find any info about such machinery, but while you very into mining equipment you may have your contacts. I always like it when people put a lot of time in the inside of a model. Most times they only pay attention to the exterior. Then a model a model isn’t finished is my opinion.
It is my opinion as well. A model in this scale really has to have a detailed interior. Unfortunately I didn’t have any good pics of the inner works of the real Mountaineer. Therefore I had to guess what lies under the elevated gallery at the back end of the machinery house or on which side lies the door that leads to the elevator cabin. All I knew was the general layout of Marion stripping shovel machinery houses.
   I also saw you used a large gear. I guess it’s quite an old piece. Hopefully I can find some on Bricklink while I’ve plans to build a Menck M154. I didn’t knew such pieces exist. Thanks for showing it :)
Well, I first saw these gears when I received a huge collection of old gears (the red, blue and yellow ones that go togheter with the old chain links with two studs on each link) I exchanged for some old 12V train stuff. I then found out that these gears are called Samsonite gears and seemed only to be available in the US. In Europe the above mentioned three sizes of gears were available. The Samsonite gears include the small white ones, some bigger yellow ones, blue ones and the 42 tooth red ones, used on my model. I only have two of the red ones and five of the white ones of which four were used on the Mountaineer.
   On such a huge model you can use the motor cycle wheels. It’s only a shame they’re white, but does it bother it anyway? The idea of the end fittings of the ropes is well found!
I already used this solution on my early mining shovel http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/shovel1.htm and on the P&H 4100TS http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/shovel2.htm (they can’t be seen on the pictures) as well as on the Bucyrus Erie 1050B http://www.fhso.ch/~felber-b/shovel3.htm
   The mast looks very sturdy. When the gantry is rather high placed it shouldn’t be any problem to luff it. Very nice to show on modelshows!! (any idea of showning it and demonstrate it during the Modelshow Europe???).
I really don’t dare to tell, but the Mountaineer doesn’t exist any more. After I took it outside the house to take some pictures I didn’t wanted to take it all the way back - there were several stairways - so I brought it in the cellar where only three steps of a stair were to be descended. There it met its fate - I disassembled it and therefore was able to determine the weight of 26.7 kg of LEGO parts and 2.6 kg of counterweight, resulting in an overall model weight of 29.3 kg.
   The decals looks very professional. Did you made them yourself?
Yes, I did. I designed them after pictures of the real machine on a desktop publishing program, printed them onto quality paper, cut them out and then glued them with rubber cement onto the model. Rubber cement doesn’t hurt ABS and allows to move the decals while the glue hasn’t dried.
   I just send the link to the people of the HHCMC. I’m the treasurer of the club. Four times a year we make our own club magazine. Because the club exist 10 years next year, someone had the idea to make four ‘specials’. One of those specials will be a ‘LEGO special’. Because your model is so special, I would like to know you would like to cooperate. If other enthausiast has some very interesting heavy equipment built of LEGO and they like the idea as well, just send me an e-mail. Maybe Jennifer would like to see her DEMAG in our magazine? Everyone liked it during the Modelshow Europe. So Beat, just let me know if you would like to visit the show :)
Dennis, let me assure you that I really would like to have my Mountaineer featured in a printed publication. It is a model I am really proud of and therefore I am willing to share its details with everybody seriously interested in it. I propose you send me a mail when you will have detailed information about the magazine and I will help you with providing pictures and descriptions.