 Space / 21798
Re: "Duvernay" Mk2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:33:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren writes:
Hi Leonard,

There's a lot to like in this ship. The way you've achieved the angled
shapes of the bridge and cabins is very good. The dual engine systems are a
nice touch. I also like how you've made the cabins feel all homey with
flowers and such.

Hey Allister,
Thanks.. I tried. :o)

The overall shape has a very interstellar feel to it ie. it looks like it's
built for extended journeys. The red stripe breaks up the side view nicely,
and I congratulate you on the brave choice of the old style 1x2x2 windows.
They worked out pretty well.

I'm not sure why it's brave (someone mentioned this before on the Mk1 design).
personally I think those windows work great as portholes, like you'd find on a
cruise ship or airplane.. seems to me natural to include them in this.  also,
they're the only windows I've got that aren't too castle-y or town-y.

I do have a couple of suggestions. The central corridor doesn't really need
to be 6 studs wide. 4 is plenty, and it'd make a bit more room in the
cabins. One of the fist things I learned in designing houses (which applies
to any internal space used by humans) is to minimise the floor area taken up
by passageways - they are essentially wasted space. I expect changing this
would be difficult at this stage, but it may be something to bear in mind
for future mocs.

I did one with 4 wide corridor, and it seemed too cramped to me.  plus, with my
thick fingers, it was difficult to adjust things within them.  But I'll keep
that in mind.  Actually, I wanted to try to do away with a corridor altogether
-  it seems such a design crutch.  I think maybe I should have all the cabins
open onto a common room.. or a wide corridor that is also a common room. hmm.

BTW, are you an architect?

Second, and it's a really minor thing, if you swapped the black cones on the
red engines for white or yellow ones I think it'd convey the impression of
heat from a firing thruster better - it's kind of like a candle flame: red
on the edges, white hot in the centre.

Thanks, but unfortunately I only have black, grey, and lime green cones.  Also,
the engine thrusters don't exactly fire like you might think thrusters would.
I read about a guy who has this theory of propellent-less thrust.. that is,
moving your spaceship without burning anything (like hydrogen or whatever)..
only electricity.  Although I don't understand any of his theories, that's what
I thought when doing up the engines (also why I included a solar panel).  I
imagine they'd glow with a purply-blue while moving the ship.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and criticism.  I'll keep it in mind when I'm
designing Mk3!

_lenny

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman writes:
can't wait:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/glencaer/Duvernay/DuvernayMk2/d00.jpg
patient:

"Duvernay" a Anthropological Research Starship, studying feral humans.  It
is the Karalehn Industries Akins Class, Proxia.

note: this is the 2nd version of this ship.  It has gone from three decks to
one. I realized I was trying to do too much all at once.  I think this is
the first thing i've made with some serious greebling. I think it turned out
well.

* the 8x8 radar dishs on the sides are planetary sensors that hold up during
hyperspace traveling.  They feature one of the seed parts for this month.
* there are two engine systems: a hyperspace one (the two nacelles off the
back) and the thrusters (for sub-light speeds, maneuvering in a starsystem-
the three red ones)
* the black thing on the back is the retractable solar panel than generates
power for the engines.
* eight crew members of six anthropologists and two to run the ship.

criticism, ideas, questions, thoughts, off topic ramblings.. all welcome
_lenoro