 Space / 16584
Re: Moonbase Project: Wider Corridors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:51:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jimmy Figiel writes:
In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

I think it is far far to early to be changing things like the general
corridor concept.  The corridors are one of the main things that (literally)
hold all of this together.  Like Paul and many others have said before I
think we should wait a long time before we change up the basic formula.

I don't think the intent of the new corridor was changing the original
formula, but adding new dimmensions to it.

If you want to do this to your module we can't stop you but we're
not going to
put any mention of this on the moonbase site.

Sorry guys.

It seems to me that this kind of posture limits a lot of creativity.  It
would be nice to see the moonbase project be the focal point for
distributing moonbase ideas instead of a judge and jury of what is
acceptable.  Connector options would allow a lot of new ideas to bloom and
not hurt the original intent.  As long as anything that is supposed to
connect to a standard module can, what's the harm.  My module is 4x6
baseplates.  I don't plan on having a connector on every side of
everybaseplate and some of the connectors will be custom inside my 4x6 area.
IF my connector idea is a good one, maybe someone else will use it and it
will flourish.  If not, that's OK as well.  Hopefully I have a place to
refine and improve my designs in Moonbase discussions and not be directed to
conform to only one standard or don't be a part of the project.  Saying no
to sugestions at this early stage would seem to splinter what seems to be a
group of people with a lot of creative energy and force people to go it
alone.  Hopefully I won't have to.  The Moonbase project is to good of an
idea not to share it.

My view of what Jon said was that the standard is not going to be changed at
this time to encompass this idea. NOT that you can't do it, or that your
modules will be turned away as long as they interoperate.

I would draw a parallel to Ntrak (from Model Railroading)... there is a
standard, (for example, 3 tracks, so many cm from the edge of the table and
from each other) it ensures interoperability. If you deviate from the
standard (you have 4 tracks instead of 3) that's fine as long as you still
interoperate (your first 3 tracks match the standard, and you're OK with a
dead end 4th if you mate with someone who didn't deviate the same way you
did). The standard does not list off every possible deviation and codify it.

I may not agree with the exact wording Jon used but I agree with the intent
as I read it (interoperable deviation is fine but the standard is what it is
for now). I'm assuming that if you submitted your module(s) for inclusion in
the links to modules page it would still be included and reachable, I didn't
read what Jon said to mean that you'd be excluded that way. Just that the
standard is not being changed at this time.

I would ask people not to blow this out of proportion...