 Space / 16609
Re: Moonbase Project Polls? (was: Re: Moonbase Project: Wider Corridors?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:34:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

What would everyone think of letting the new polling system settle some of
these issues?  That might be fun actually.  Perhaps we could vote on what
height (10, 20 etc..)the monorail track should be as a test.

What do you guys think?

I think the idea has some potential, but you should procede with caution.
There is a very real posibility that unless you word things very carefully,
people will assume that you will feel bound by the result of the vote.  What
would you do with a vote that went a way that you _really_ didn't like?  Do
you, or someone else, or a small group of you "own" the module standard, or do
you specifically want it to be a community process?  (I can see merit
with either approach.)  Further when a divided issue comes up, I think it's
important to wait a while, while conversation percolates -- there's no rush to
vote.  That way, everyone has the chance to put their good ideas on the table
for community consideration so an informed vote is made when it comes to that.

some thoughts,

Chris