 Robotics / Vision Command / *235 (-20)
Re: OS-X driver for the Vision Command cam ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 02:10:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Thomas Johnson wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.vc, Ray Sanders wrote:

Has anyone hacked a Macintosh OS-X driver to support the VC LEGO-cam ?

Yes!  The Freeware open-source Macam works quite well.  Details are at:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
and a patched version for OS X 10.3 can be found at:
http://www.multi-cam.net/camera_downloads.html

Tom

VERY COOL...  it works right out of the box on OS-X 10.2.6...  now, what to do
with a working LEGO VC cam ...  hmmmmm

Ray

Re: OS-X driver for the Vision Command cam ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 20:09:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Ray Sanders wrote:

Has anyone hacked a Macintosh OS-X driver to support the VC LEGO-cam ?

Yes!  The Freeware open-source Macam works quite well.  Details are at:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
and a patched version for OS X 10.3 can be found at:
http://www.multi-cam.net/camera_downloads.html

Tom

Subject:
OS-X driver for the Vision Command cam ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:29:32 GMT

I think this has been asked before, but I don't see any positive replies...

Has anyone hacked a Macintosh OS-X driver to support the VC LEGO-cam ?

I believe someone has mentioned that the cam is really a Connectix QuickCam Web.
I have found a linux driver for that cam, but don't see a OS-X or BSD version.
Anyone know of one ?

thanks, Ray

Subject:
RCX.NET lets you program directly from .NET code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.vc, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:08:36 GMT

Hi guys!

Some weeks ago I was trying to build a remote controlled (web page) camera
using my RCX and .NET. I tried many libraries and no one worked ok. Then I
decided to built my own .NET library, and It worked perfect.
Now I'm sharing this with you.Take a look and let me know any comments:
http://www.geeksco.com/rcxnet/index.htm
The programming interface is very similar to spirit's, but It does not
expose all its functionality. (Just drop me an email if you need some
additional method  :-) )

enjoy!

David

Re: how to get vision command update for win XP and win 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:56:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Chun Sing Kwok wrote:
I am having the same problem on Win2K, but even worst is that I am living in
asia, the LEGO branch here, told me that they does not help to order
anything for individuals...

Any place I can download it?

"chrismaker" <chrismaker@noos.fr> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:HJ4515.1DtJ@lugnet.com...
Rob limbaugh give me the info to get the update.

LEGO has a new version of VC for "XP".  It will also install on Win2K. Call
Shop@Home and wait (don't press any buttons) and tell the person on the phone
you need the new version of VC for XP.

Chris.

Hello,

I found this on the internet:
http://www.abs-robotics.com/tips/install/winxp/vc.htm

Hope it helps,
Ruth

Re: how to get vision command update for win XP and win 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:31:47 GMT

I am having the same problem on Win2K, but even worst is that I am living in
asia, the LEGO branch here, told me that they does not help to order
anything for individuals...

Any place I can download it?

"chrismaker" <chrismaker@noos.fr> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:HJ4515.1DtJ@lugnet.com...
Rob limbaugh give me the info to get the update.

LEGO has a new version of VC for "XP".  It will also install on Win2K. • Call
Shop@Home and wait (don't press any buttons) and tell the person on the • phone
you need the new version of VC for XP.

Chris.

Re: Vision Command can see IR!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:32:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Andrew Keyser wrote:
Yep, that's right--I found a page sowewhere where someone used the
remaining USB power offered by the computer to power 6 IR LEDs mounted
on the front of the cam--night vision!

Carl Jagt wrote:

Greetings,

   FYI -- While playing with my new Vision Command, the robo-cam swung by me
while I had the Mindstorm's remote control in hand; and I observed a point of
blue light eminating from the remote's IR head. A few quick and very
unscientific tests later, it appeared that the Vision Command camera can see
into the infrared spectrum -- can anyone else confirm this?
   (Also, prior to getting the VC cam up and running, the Win98 software
wanted to install RCX v2.0 into my v.10 RCX brick -- that surprised me...)

   Cheers,

Carl Jagt

Have a look here.

http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html

Rainer

Re: Vision Command can see IR!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:34:25 GMT

--
-AK

--
------------
My website: http://legographics.idwt.net/

Subject:
how to get vision command update for win XP and win 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:00:41 GMT

Rob limbaugh give me the info to get the update.

LEGO has a new version of VC for "XP".  It will also install on Win2K.  Call
Shop@Home and wait (don't press any buttons) and tell the person on the phone
you need the new version of VC for XP.

Chris.

Subject:
Half speed in movie maker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:15:43 GMT

Hi,

When my son makes movies in Movie Maker they are way to fast because he does
not take enought
pictures (stop motion). Anybody know a program which will double the number
of frames and this
way make the movie longer.

Lars Gertsen - Denmark

Re: VC Doesn't work : (
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:16:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Stéphane Simard wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.vc, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
Hello.  I just got my VC from EToys and installed everything, but I can't
get the camera to work.  I keep getting the message "The LEGO Cam is
currently in use by another application."  The microphone test works and
"fix it" during the installation said the device is working properly.  Any
ideas ?

I'm having the exact same problem :(

I'm using the exact same OS (Win 98 SE)

Any solution?

It's getting frutrating :( Nothing works. I tried re-installing, to no avail. On
top of that the installation process is long and tedious, for some reason it
takes MINUTES to detect cd rom change when it asks me to insert windows 98 se
CD.

I know the actual camera works fine, as the camera test right after the
installation works fine.

But vision command still doesn't detect it!

When I try the Lego Cam program the camera microphone works but any program
inside it tells me the camera is currently in use!

Please, I need help. Lego's tech support page stinks and doesn't help me in any
way!

My configuration:

Windows 98 SE
P3-733 MHZ
352 mb RAM
SB Live 5.1 sound card
Nvidia geforce2 MX 100/200 video card
20 gig hard disk
ASUS mother board

Re: VC Doesn't work : (
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 00:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
Hello.  I just got my VC from EToys and installed everything, but I can't
get the camera to work.  I keep getting the message "The LEGO Cam is
currently in use by another application."  The microphone test works and
"fix it" during the installation said the device is working properly.  Any
ideas ?

                                                Thanks,
                                                Xanthra47

PS.  AMD K6-300 mhz
        128 Megs of RAM
        Windows 98 2nd Ed.
        12 GB Hardrive
        Acer 36x CD-Rom
        HP 6200i
        Iomega Jaz Jet (ISA)

I'm having the exact same problem :(

I'm using the exact same OS (Win 98 SE)

Any solution?

Re: Vision command and night vision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:45:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Robert Seifert writes:
Couple months ago I have seen VC camera modified to see even in complete
darkness using IR LED diodes mounted around it. Today i tried to find it
again but Lugnet search didn't give me any positive results. Does anybody
know location of the page I am looking for?

Thanks Rob

http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html

http://www.philohome.com/sensors/irlamp.htm

Subject:
Vision command and night vision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:12:26 GMT

Couple months ago I have seen VC camera modified to see even in complete
darkness using IR LED diodes mounted around it. Today i tried to find it
again but Lugnet search didn't give me any positive results. Does anybody
know location of the page I am looking for?

Thanks Rob

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:24:04 GMT

I built 7 bots that sort for me. Althought they really don't do their job.
Instead they play around all night and just bearly get everything cleaned up
in the nick of time right before sunrise when they kick on their sort beams.

7 Little Sorting Bots
http://www.biomechanicalbricks.com/little_bots_series_by_eric_sophie.htm

Kienetic Sort Beam

www.biomechanicalbricks.com

P.S. Thanks, just being silly. Had to do it. Good Luck with your project.

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:39:42 GMT

Hi Chris,

that it will not be easy simply building reliable, jam-proof mechanisms to >move those pieces to where you want them,

That is why I am looking for a software solution.

As far as FLL goes, I think this would be well beyond the level of
difficulty that the average elementary school student could handle.
Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some child could surprise
us all, I wouldn't pose it as a challenge to FLL unless I was able to solve
it myself, or at least reasonably sure I could solve it in a finite amount
of time.  I think the best challenges for that kind of setting are the ones
that are relatively simple, yet which leave plenty of room for creative
solutions.  You want a large percentage of the kids to succeed at making a
working robot, and then the group gets to compare/contrast the various
approaches taken with individual entries.

This is very insightful. You are no doubt correct. If I were to present this
challenge to children, I would only be setting them up for failure. A good
teacher will carefully select tasks that are challenging by not beyond the
limits of the students.

Start with a few Internet searches on phrases like "image >recognition"or "pattern matching" and you should find a lot of free >information.  Or search Amazon for titles in print.

Yes, this is good advice.
Thanks again for your thoughts
I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Best to you,
John

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:25:16 GMT

Hi John,

Think of it as a Zen-like exercise which allows you to achieve a state of
altered consciousness while still performing "useful" work.

I am a little too pig headed to achieve any Zen like stated of mind. Once I
come up with an idea for reducing labor I will spend thousands of hours
finding ways to bring the idea to life. This eventually produces one of two
possible outcomes. Either a system will be developed or I will have a
nervous break down. One time I spent 3 years developing an expert system to
build database applications so that I wouldn't have to. It was a lot of work
but paid off big in the end. So you see, I think in the very long term.

I suspect that ANY form of robotic "sorting" will take far more time than
simple manual efforts.  Enjoy.

In the short term, you are no doubt correct. But I can't think of a better
way to show kids the value of robotics. Also, in the long term, if we can
pull off this trick, it will give kids more time to be creative with their
LEGOs.

Actually, I was watching some show on TV about robots the other day, and the
roboticist was mentioning that in order to bring robotics to the next level,
we have to be able to solve the problem of object recognition. Now if the
guys at MIT haven't got it yet then what hope is there for me? Well, I say,
"Don't under estimate the collective intellect of the Lego Community."

Anyway, I am grateful for your thoughts.
Best, John

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:16:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, John Shearing writes:
Hi Chris,

It seems to me that for the first time in history, kids could have a robot
that can do the thing they hate most. Putting their toys away. This could be
a very effective way to show kids the importance of robotics.

Clearly, you have given this a lot of thought. I am glad that someone else
is interested in this problem. By the way, I really like your caliper device.

There is a way to accomplish part identification without real recognition
software. It would involve a stage for viewing the pieces that would have a
white background. Then I could have the camera move its way around the part
in effect measuring it in much the same way as a coordinate measuring
machine. This combined with weighing the parts could determine their
identities. But this process would be time consuming and so would not be
practical. So now I am wondering about real object recognition software for
use with the Vision Command system.

If you or anyone else knows of any books that discuss object recognition I
would like to have your recommendation.

Also, if anyone out there is working in the field of vision recognition,
please chime in.

And lastly, do any of you think this is a good challenge for the First Lego
League?

Thanks, John

I don't want to discourage your efforts, but I view this as more of an
academic exercise than anything that is likely to result in a practical
brick sorting machine.  There is so much variation in size and shape of the
pieces in a typical mound of LEGO that it will not be easy simply building
reliable, jam-proof mechanisms to move those pieces to where you want them,
let alone figuring out what each piece is in the first place.

As I mentioned in my other message, my caliper chamber is only one of the
three complex subsystems that would be required to make this work at all.
And unfortunately, it is probably the easiest one to build.  (That's why I
built it first.)

As far as FLL goes, I think this would be well beyond the level of
difficulty that the average elementary school student could handle.
Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some child could surprise
us all, I wouldn't pose it as a challenge to FLL unless I was able to solve
it myself, or at least reasonably sure I could solve it in a finite amount
of time.  I think the best challenges for that kind of setting are the ones
that are relatively simple, yet which leave plenty of room for creative
solutions.  You want a large percentage of the kids to succeed at making a
working robot, and then the group gets to compare/contrast the various
approaches taken with individual entries.

You could always constrain the problem in ways that would make it somewhat
easier to solve.  For example, only require the robot to sort regular brick,
and then only a few sizes like: 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4.  Even
that might be too many sizes.  I think the challenge would be just as
valuable if you only allowed a few brick sizes, as any workable solution
could hopefully be extended.  Extra credit for creative handling of
"misfits" that aren't on the list, ie: put them all into a separate reject bin.

As far as suggested reading for image processing, I haven't really studied
this in over ten years, and the field has advanced quite a bit in that time.
So any book I've read and could recommend would be sadly out-of-date.  Start
with a few Internet searches on phrases like "image recognition" or "pattern
matching" and you should find a lot of free information.  Or search Amazon
for titles in print.

Again, I don't mean to be a nay-sayer.  I would really like to see someone
build a decent brick sorter, and I'm sure that it can be done.  I just think
it might be a bit much to ask of a child.  I also think that if you set out
to build this thinking that it will save you time in the long run, you're
probably setting yourself up for some disappointment.

- Chris.

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:02:15 GMT

You want a fast, efficient robot for sorting?    Look in the mirror....lol.
Think of it as a Zen-like exercise which allows you to achieve a state of
altered consciousness while still performing "useful" work.  It also
improves your pattern recognition skills and small motor skills.

After teaching 6 or 8 session "enrichment classes" in elementary schools,
I've come to the conclusion that as much time is spent outside of class
dealing with "resorting" as is spent in class actually teaching.  This is an
inevitable part of such courses. I manage to 'minimize' post-class sorting by:

Color coding parts sets when possible.  Assortments of parts for building
are all the same color. Blue, red, yellow, black, white and gray sets are
possible. This can be done but it takes time and effort.  I've duplicated
the classic 1030 sets and put together basic robotics sets this way.  I
would LOVE to see a wider color range of classic technic beams and plates -
this was raised in a "Technic Bucket" concept a while back.

Attempt to enforce (and you wil not be completely successful) a "work from
your own set" rule.

Provide groups of kids with 'work-in-progress' boxes so that parts stay
segregated.

If time allows, you can dedicate a class session to a "put things back in
the box" effort - but to do this you need compartmented storage trays with
printed contents pictures.  "Rewards" (candy or whatever) for good jobs help.

Even with all this I often find that it's easy to check the colored pieces
(and more so if you have them "stacked" in the set - offset plates by one
position so they come apart, simply stack beams and bricks).  However, gears
and such need sorting and checking and common parts like pins axles and such
are often best given a simple once over to insure some minimums are in place
- just provide a common tray for kids to draw these parts from when
building.  It's rarely worth the effort to count out connector pins and
small axles and such.

I suspect that ANY form of robotic "sorting" will take far more time than
simple manual efforts.  Enjoy.

John H.

In lugnet.robotics.vc, John Shearing writes:
Hi All,

I am running a little robot discovery group at my local elementary school.
When I started the group, all the pieces were sorted in see through plastic
ziploc bags. But after only a few days the kids have all the pieces in one
big mess.

So I would like to build a robot for sorting the Lego pieces when the kids
are done using them. I would think that the most difficult part of the
project would be a program for recognizing the pieces.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I might find a program that would work
with Vision Command for this purpose?

Has anyone already done this?

Also, any other ideas and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc

[...]