 Robotics / Vision Command / 220
Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:39:42 GMT

Hi Chris,

that it will not be easy simply building reliable, jam-proof mechanisms to >move those pieces to where you want them,

That is why I am looking for a software solution.

As far as FLL goes, I think this would be well beyond the level of
difficulty that the average elementary school student could handle.
Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some child could surprise
us all, I wouldn't pose it as a challenge to FLL unless I was able to solve
it myself, or at least reasonably sure I could solve it in a finite amount
of time.  I think the best challenges for that kind of setting are the ones
that are relatively simple, yet which leave plenty of room for creative
solutions.  You want a large percentage of the kids to succeed at making a
working robot, and then the group gets to compare/contrast the various
approaches taken with individual entries.

This is very insightful. You are no doubt correct. If I were to present this
challenge to children, I would only be setting them up for failure. A good
teacher will carefully select tasks that are challenging by not beyond the
limits of the students.

Start with a few Internet searches on phrases like "image >recognition"or "pattern matching" and you should find a lot of free >information.  Or search Amazon for titles in print.

Yes, this is good advice.
Thanks again for your thoughts
I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Best to you,
John