 Robotics / Vision Command / 219
Re: Robot That Sorts Lego Pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:25:16 GMT

Hi John,

Think of it as a Zen-like exercise which allows you to achieve a state of
altered consciousness while still performing "useful" work.

I am a little too pig headed to achieve any Zen like stated of mind. Once I
come up with an idea for reducing labor I will spend thousands of hours
finding ways to bring the idea to life. This eventually produces one of two
possible outcomes. Either a system will be developed or I will have a
nervous break down. One time I spent 3 years developing an expert system to
build database applications so that I wouldn't have to. It was a lot of work
but paid off big in the end. So you see, I think in the very long term.

I suspect that ANY form of robotic "sorting" will take far more time than
simple manual efforts.  Enjoy.

In the short term, you are no doubt correct. But I can't think of a better
way to show kids the value of robotics. Also, in the long term, if we can
pull off this trick, it will give kids more time to be creative with their
LEGOs.

Actually, I was watching some show on TV about robots the other day, and the
roboticist was mentioning that in order to bring robotics to the next level,
we have to be able to solve the problem of object recognition. Now if the
guys at MIT haven't got it yet then what hope is there for me? Well, I say,
"Don't under estimate the collective intellect of the Lego Community."

Anyway, I am grateful for your thoughts.
Best, John