 Pirates / 830
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:38:44 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Jeffrey Watts writes:
Want to hear a mindblower?  I didn't really start to read up on Carribean
or pirate history until the mid-nineties.   It wasn't until then that I
read about Sir Francis Drake and the buccaneer raids on Panama.

  Ack, yes.  I wrote on the Circumnavigation (1577-80) as a
  lowly undergraduate.  ;)  I've always wondered if Drake can
  be considered a true "buccaneer" or pyrate; he was operating
  under marque from Elizabeth, and was a privateer very much
  in the mould of his mentor and friend, John Hawkins.  After
  all, he did end up formulating the harassing strategy against
  Philip's Armada of 1588.

It's kind like politics: to the English he was a national hero, to the Spanish
he was a pirate.  :-)

Since he had direct or indirect sanction from Elizabeth ("Oooo, I'm sorry about
that sea-dog Mister Spanish Ambassador, I'll punish him severely.  Drakey-poo,
hold out your wrist for me to slap.  There, all better now") I'd agree that he
was primarily of the privateer side of things.

What's interesting about that?  In 1991, while with the National Guard, I
went to Panama to build roads and bridges and repair schools in a poor
area east of Colon.  Our compound was in a thicket near a circular bay,
which was necessary because the heavy bulldozers and earth movers had to
be amphibiously landed.  There was a nice little town on the shore of this
bay, near the compound.  We would buy sodas and other goods in this town.

I remember the name of the town quite well, given that I was acting as
translator for my company and I really liked the unique name this town
had, "Name Of God".  I had wondered what those ruins at the tips of the
bay were.

What was the Spanish name?  Nombre De Dios.

  *SMACK* in the face with the Halibut of History!  Wow,
  I'm sorry you didn't take a truck into Portobelo too,
  and/or check out the fortifications.  I would have
  loved to hear *that* story!  Field trip, anyone?  I've
  got the quinine!  ;)

I wish to this day that I had driven one of our deuce-and-a-halfs out
there.  I do have a decent shot of some fortifications along the coast
about mid-way to Colon, taken from the bus.  Get this, I think they were
at Portobelo.  *sigh*

  So long as you didn't stub your toe on any Morions.
  (You'd need a tetanus shot!)  Wow.  That's pretty cool.

  My "Drake Near-Miss" is a little less heady--I was
  walking near Southwark Cathedral (in daylight, lest
  you concern yourself for my safety) and around a corner
  *wham* (halibut!) there's the spitting image of a teeny
  tiny 16th-century privateering vessel floating in the
  water.  It turns out this is the reproduction of
  _Golden Hinde_ (with or without the E, take your pick)
  built in 1977 to commemorate the quadrucentennial
  (tetracentennial?) of Drake's departure.  I spoke with
  a very nice but obviously very harassed girl from Perth
  (Aus.) who was working the summer on the ship as a guide
  (in period sea-dog costume, which I must say looked rather
  spiffy!  A living Pirate Babe!) and she gave me the low-
  down on it.  It's a must-see if you happen to be in
  London, even if it's a loose interpretation because only
  written descriptions of Drake's ship still exist, with rough
  dimensions. In any case, that thing was *absolutely friggin'
  tiny*, about the size of a double-decker London Transport
  bus, and they sailed it around the globe!  It makes
  Drake's exploits all the more amazing.

  best

  Lindsay

Hmmmm, I think I saw it at San Francisco when it was making its
circumnavigation (maybe it was Long Beach - I forget).  The thing that struck
me was it looked so tippy with those tall castles.  And tiny!  Tiny, tiny,
tiny (and it was surrounded by much larger sailing ships, just to reinforce the
impression).

And for those who have never seen it, check out the movie Swashbuckler
(indifferent pirate movie with Robert Shaw and James Earl Jones).  The pirate
ship in that is the Golden Hinde reproduction.

Bruce