 Pirates / 824
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:15:21 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Don't bother to look - you are correct on all accounts.  "Corsair" is most
often related to the Barbary pirates, but it also meant a privateer • (sanctioned
piracy - but again, usually associated with north african pirates).  I've • seen
the dictionary vaguely refer to a corsair as a ship, but I haven't seen it
applied to a specific type.  It seems to be refering to the purpose of the
ship, not the ship itself (meaning virtually anything could be a "corsair" • just
as anything could be a "privateer").

The ship type "corsair" is derived from the type of boat--a semi-militarised • dhow,
if I'm not mistaken--that the pyrate sort of Corsair would use.  Later it was
extended to other ship types used by such raiders.  IIRC it's a motile
category--but usually the ships have to be lateen-rigged; ship-rigs tend not • to be
called "corsairs."  Oh, and of course, the Vought Corporation made many • corsairs of
a *third* sort between 1942 and 1946.  (Yeah, yeah, I know, it's also derived • from
the pyrate and ship.  ;) )

Arrrrrrr, Chance-Vought Corsairs tain't pyrates, ye lubberly comedian.

Though now that I think about it, that was primarily a Marine fighter, wasn't
it?  :-)

I haven't seen Dhows singled out as a "corsair", though they were certainly
used widely in north africa.  Xebecs and various galleys (dromons, what not)
were used by the various pirate nations, in addition to other vessels.  Lateen
rig was more of a by-the-way since that was fairly standard in the Med,
especially on the southern side.

The barbequed meat (closer to smoking I imagine because the purpose was to • dry
the meat to preserve it) was known as boucan.

In your ear!  In your boucan ear!  ;)  (Or some similar derivation.)

I be having yer boucan ear right here, matey!  :-)

Bruce
The Corsair
(The pyrate formerly known as Redbeard - but after a week's vacation from
shaving, has confirmed the sad truth that that no longer applies)

Spray paint can fix that.  ;)

That be butcher than Clairol, I be supposin'.

Bruce