 Pirates / 822
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:38:31 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jeffrey Watts writes:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Markus Wolf wrote:

    Thanks for the corrections.  Sure and certain, I always thought
Corsair were a type of ship, but Webster uses the word for both a ship
and a pyrate.

Corsairs were the pirates of the Mediterranean - specifically of the
Barbary coast (what is now modern-day Libya).

Buccaneers were a group of pirates that originated on Hispanola - but the
term later became used in a general sense for Carribean pirates towards
the latter part of the Golden Age of piracy (late 1600s, early 1700s).

If I recall correctly, "Buccaneer" is derived from the way that the group
on Hispanola cooked their meat -- barbeque.  I'll check my tomes when I
return home, but I'm 95% sure that that is correct.

J.

Don't bother to look - you are correct on all accounts.  "Corsair" is most
often related to the Barbary pirates, but it also meant a privateer (sanctioned
piracy - but again, usually associated with north african pirates).  I've seen
the dictionary vaguely refer to a corsair as a ship, but I haven't seen it
applied to a specific type.  It seems to be refering to the purpose of the
ship, not the ship itself (meaning virtually anything could be a "corsair" just
as anything could be a "privateer").

The barbequed meat (closer to smoking I imagine because the purpose was to dry
the meat to preserve it) was known as boucan.

Bruce
The Corsair
(The pyrate formerly known as Redbeard - but after a week's vacation from
shaving, has confirmed the sad truth that that no longer applies)