 Pirates / 827
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:19:15 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

And rather than refer to various books myself, the interested reader
should check out:

http://www.discover.net/~nqgiven/bibl.htm

Great link!  Thanks.

Want to hear a mindblower?  I didn't really start to read up on Carribean
or pirate history until the mid-nineties.   It wasn't until then that I
read about Sir Francis Drake and the buccaneer raids on Panama.

What's interesting about that?  In 1991, while with the National Guard, I
went to Panama to build roads and bridges and repair schools in a poor
area east of Colon.  Our compound was in a thicket near a circular bay,
which was necessary because the heavy bulldozers and earth movers had to
be amphibiously landed.  There was a nice little town on the shore of this
bay, near the compound.  We would buy sodas and other goods in this town.

I remember the name of the town quite well, given that I was acting as
translator for my company and I really liked the unique name this town
had, "Name Of God".  I had wondered what those ruins at the tips of the
bay were.

What was the Spanish name?  Nombre De Dios.

I wish to this day that I had driven one of our deuce-and-a-halfs out
there.  I do have a decent shot of some fortifications along the coast
about mid-way to Colon, taken from the bus.  Get this, I think they were
at Portobelo.  *sigh*

Jeffrey.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "You know that saying, 'To everything   |
| Network Systems Management |  there is a season'?  Well I'm still    |
| Sprint Communications      |  waiting for Loud Neighbor's Cat Season |
                             |  -- Paul Keifer                         |