 Pirates / 823
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:55:06 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Don't bother to look - you are correct on all accounts.  "Corsair" is most
often related to the Barbary pirates, but it also meant a privateer (sanctioned
piracy - but again, usually associated with north african pirates).  I've seen
the dictionary vaguely refer to a corsair as a ship, but I haven't seen it
applied to a specific type.  It seems to be refering to the purpose of the
ship, not the ship itself (meaning virtually anything could be a "corsair" just
as anything could be a "privateer").

The ship type "corsair" is derived from the type of boat--a semi-militarised dhow,
if I'm not mistaken--that the pyrate sort of Corsair would use.  Later it was
extended to other ship types used by such raiders.  IIRC it's a motile
category--but usually the ships have to be lateen-rigged; ship-rigs tend not to be
called "corsairs."  Oh, and of course, the Vought Corporation made many corsairs of
a *third* sort between 1942 and 1946.  (Yeah, yeah, I know, it's also derived from
the pyrate and ship.  ;) )

The barbequed meat (closer to smoking I imagine because the purpose was to dry
the meat to preserve it) was known as boucan.

In your ear!  In your boucan ear!  ;)  (Or some similar derivation.)

Bruce
The Corsair
(The pyrate formerly known as Redbeard - but after a week's vacation from
shaving, has confirmed the sad truth that that no longer applies)

Spray paint can fix that.  ;)

best

LFB