 Pirates / 826
Re: My pirate lexicon.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:33:10 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jeffrey Watts writes:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

The barbequed meat (closer to smoking I imagine because the purpose
was to dry the meat to preserve it) was known as boucan.

Right, and "to smoke-dry" or "to cure" is "boucaner".  So one could call
the Caribbean pirates from Hispanola the "Jerkys".  :-)

We be the Jerky Boyz 2 Pyrates.  We be cool.

By the way, anyone interested in a good historical pirate book (other than
_A General History of the Pyrates_, which is attributed to Defoe) should
read _Under The Black Flag - the romance and reality of life among the
pirates_ by David Cordingly.  It's a wonderful read, and is
well-researched.  Anyone interested in learning how pirates actually lived
should pick this work up.  Also, it has a really cool cover.  :-)

Jeffrey.

Under the Black Flag was good general overview of Pirates and their
mythification.  A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most
Notorious Pirates by Captain Charles Johnson (there is a version out that lists
Defoe as the author, but that is by no means certain - readers may find it
listed under either name) forms the basis of many general works on pirates.
And rather than refer to various books myself, the interested reader should
check out:

http://www.discover.net/~nqgiven/bibl.htm

Bruce