 People / 1743
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 18:26:57 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
<SNIP>
I'll probably go with muskets, bows, and swords.

   I forget the name, but the Japanese had a word for the musket
   that dates to the 16th century.  I remember an article had been
   written on the use of gunpowder in Japan following European
   contact, and how it was eventually contained, but the cite has
   escaped me at present.  I'll ask the Dutch when I talk to them.

Since the first guns arrived on the island of Tanegashima, guns were
known as tanegashima for a while, but were later called teppo.

Chris