 People / 1738
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 22:49:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle.ninja, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
In lugnet.castle.ninja, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  I think there's a minor difference between full-blown junks
  and sampans (sorry, I learned the spelling used by the US Navy
  during WWII--as maru traffic vanished, US subs began spending
  torpedoes on sampans...and quays, and bridges, and anything
  else--in one case a warhead was used to blow up a train.  But
  I digress, as usual).

Was the train in the water? Can you recommend any good books about submarines
the Pacific theater? I've read the Pacific volumes of Samuel Eliot Morison's
History of US Naval Operations, but I don't remember there being too much in
there about subs.

  The most entertaining book I read about US subs in the Pacific
  was the venerable 'Pig Boats,' a popular-issue book that was
  as of 1992 still available in paperback.

Thanks.

  As for academic books,
  Morison like most was still enamoured with the skimmers.  They
  don't quite appreciate that it's the submarines that may have
  been the decisive arm of the Navy.  US subs were operating close
  to Japan from early 1942 on--even, for a time, in the Sea of
  Japan.  They were responsible for something like 1/2 of all
  naval tonnage sunk as well as about 80% of all merchant shipping
  lost by Japan during the war.  From around 7 million tons of
  ships, plus ~3 million built during the war, down to about 200,000
  tons at the end.  Ack.  What Germany attempted, it seems, the US
  brought to fruition.

  Oooh, the train.  That's a great story.  By 1945, with few
  targets to shoot at, bored sub crews would occasionally shell
  the coast at random and, in one instance, sent about five or six
  people ashore with a torpedo warhead and set it up on the local
  railroad tracks so it'd take the train out...as for other odd
  things, USS Bowfin (IIRC) has a dock, a crane, and a bus on its
  battle flag--because, well, it torpedoed a dock, and the crane
  and bus came down with it.  They came in *close* from 1944 on,
  even picking up downed fliers in Tokyo Bay.

  That's China you're talking about.  The Treasure Fleet of
  Cheng He that made many voyages to south Asia and East Africa
  was, in fact, the largest fleet assembled during the age of
  sail.  Not until the Jubilee reviews of Victorian Britain
  did larger fleets appear.

  For some reason, the Emperor decided that any ship over two
  masts (IIRC) was no longer allowed--records were destroyed,
  skills lost, and the like.  I've seen drawings of some of
  these ships from the eunuch's treasure fleet--they were
  friggin' *enormous*, six-masted things roughly four times
  the size of Columbus's whole expedition.

I think I read somewhere that he was also a Muslim and that didn't go over • too
well.

  I'm not sure--usually when someone becomes a eunuch that's
  pretty much the defining characteristic of their being.  It's
  also the source of their incredible power.  The Chinese attitude
  was that, with enough work, anyone could become civilized like
  the Chinese (and then of course pay homage...).

  A citation for those interested:  _When China Ruled the Seas:
  The Treasure Fleet of the Dragon Throne, 1400-1433_ by Louise
  Levathes (London: Simon & Shuster, 1994) is *the* reference
  for the mighty Ming navy, and a splendid piece of scholarship
  to boot.  Take that, Flash Gordon!

I put a hold on that. Thanks, Lindsay.

  I hope it's as exciting as I think it is...we history geeks can
  find the most boring works fascinating.  I mean, come on, I study
  surveying for goodness sake.

Wow, even I don't read anything that boring. Actually, at the moment I'm
re-reading a great book, A Naval History of WWI. Before reading it, all I knew
about WWI naval history was Jutland, but this guy (Paul Halpern) goes into
Austro-Italian battles on the Adriatic, Turkish and Russian conflicts in the
Black Sea, gunboats on the Danube, etc. Some of the stuff he describes sounds
very doable in LEGO, if I can find some pics.

  I agree, depends on the period.  Japanese had small arms from
  their first contact with the Dutch and Portuguese, though it
  was quite regulated.  It did however cause havoc and (IIRC)
  those who ventured out onto the sea would have gained these
  weapons through trade and plunder.  The only catch is that not
  too many small arms were produced 'at home'--it was restricted
  and only for those who could afford them socially and fiscally.
  But pirates were pretty good at improvisation, at least the
  idealised sort we're trying to emulate.

At the very least, I would think spears, bows, and crossbows would be • employed.

  Composite bows definitely--China and Japan learnt that from
  the Mongols in much the same way that Europe did, with the
  major difference that the Mongols *became* China's ruling
  class...but Japan and Korea, definitely.

I'll probably go with muskets, bows, and swords.

  I forget the name, but the Japanese had a word for the musket
  that dates to the 16th century.  I remember an article had been
  written on the use of gunpowder in Japan following European
  contact, and how it was eventually contained, but the cite has
  escaped me at present.  I'll ask the Dutch when I talk to them.

  Yeah.  See above for the book cite--again, well worth a weekend
  of sporadic reading.  I managed to sneak it onto my exam reading
  list for global history...;)

A professor who assigns actual books! Where do you teach? I used to be a
history major as well as PoliSci, but I had to drop it because the classes • and
professors were a joke. One of my professors whom I had to continually • correct
finally told me that 'dates aren't that important'.

  Actually, your professor is kind of correct.  Memorizing dates
  is like memorizing chemical interactions--that's what references
  are there for.  You need to know the basics, the generalities,
  the trends, and the big stories, but one can very easily become
  bogged down in dates, which don't mean anything by themselves.
  HOWever you generally try not to say that after class has begun.
  You point it out from the very start.  (I only grade down on
  dates when the dates are wayyyyy off...or the order.  Who knew
  that the US Civil War was a direct consequence of World War II?)

That's what happened; she had the Japanese overrunning the Phillipines,
Singapore, etc., and THEN attacking Pearl Harbor. I pointed out the error in
class, to which her reply was, "That's what the book says". She finally gave up
after class and then gave me the defense mentioned above.

  Faculty a joke?  Where on Earth are you?

Frostburg State University in western MD. That's what happens when you have a
2.3 high school GPA. Thank God for the SAT's.

Another of my history professors shows 2 or 3 videos every class, and the
'video log' that we keep is worth 20% of our grade.

  I want to compete in
  the job pool against the jokes--man, that's like grenade fishing
  in a barrel.  I'm still working on my PhD, so they don't give
  me too many classes--the exam reading list I'm talking about
  is my *own* for the last examination I have to take before I can
  forget about jumping through hoops and write my thesis and (gasp)
  be done.  As much as I like Rutgers, I'm ready to go do something
  productive (or at least more financially rewarding) than being
  a student.

A friend of mine is waiting to hear back from Rutgers about his grad school
application. How is it up there?

Yeah, the academic life is getting a bit old for me as well. Due to my
less-than-stellar sophomore year and a year in which I only took one class due
to lack of funds, I'm a 4th-year junior.

Hey, were you serious about modeling the Turtle? Because that gave me the idea
to do the Nautilus (the Robert Fulton one, not the Disney one). It would be
pretty cool if we could get somebody to do the Hunley, then we could have a
antique submarine show at the Pirate Game. It would be tough to actually work
them into the game, but it would be pretty neat.

-Marc