 Castle / Ninja / 48
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:35:57 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Chris Barker writes:
Has anyone considered that pirate minifigs work well as Portugese
traders and missionaries within the Ninja world?

Yes...when the Ninja theme came out, I immediately thought cool! Shogun with
Lego!

If you ever read or saw James Clavell's "shogun" you'll see that the
Portuguese were very active in Japan.  I realize this novel takes great
liberties with historical anologies and cultural observations, but it was a
great read and is fairly well researched)

I did a MoC based on
this which I'll post pics of one day.  Maybe I'll get around to doing
some Nagasaki MoCs since it was one of the few places where Nambanjin
(southern barbarians) were permitted to live.

Chris Barker
chris@superfami.com

Sounds like a cool project...

I view the Ninja theme as the ultimate bridge between Castle and Pirates in
my collection.  The idea of my Ninjada project was to create a fortress and
show its fictional development over the centuries through different eras.
(although the idea came to me while building my first FNF years ago, I owe
some of the subsequent inspiration to Richard Parson's Port Block, which I
discovered on RTL after I came on-line)

Now, I just wish I hadn't sold ALL my Pirate ships to a person who will
remain nameless (and quite heavily armed with cannons and pirate-ey type
stuff = )

Since the Medieval "samurai-era" lasted so long in Japan, I think
integration of Pirate theme ships in MOCs is only logical...and the
possibilties are intriguing.

                        John