 Castle / Ninja / 59
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:25:13 GMT

"Marc Nelson Jr." wrote:

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle.ninja, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
In lugnet.castle.ninja, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

Well, you have definitely inspired me - I already have my pirate crew
assembled, and I'm going to start working on my junk today. I have some
questions about Japanese naval history (for you or anybody else who knows):
-did junks ever carry cannon?

To the best of my knowledge, junks (later called san-pans) were
Chinese/Korean in origin.

  I think there's a minor difference between full-blown junks
  and sampans (sorry, I learned the spelling used by the US Navy
  during WWII--as maru traffic vanished, US subs began spending
  torpedoes on sampans...and quays, and bridges, and anything
  else--in one case a warhead was used to blow up a train.  But
  I digress, as usual).

Was the train in the water? Can you recommend any good books about submarines
the Pacific theater? I've read the Pacific volumes of Samuel Eliot Morison's
History of US Naval Operations, but I don't remember there being too much in
there about subs.

"Blind Man's Bluff" is a great book about the history of submarine
warfare.

  Incidentally, buccaneer crews were often a pastiche.  A pirate
  who started out 'Japanese' would quickly pick up new crew in
  the act of piracy or at ports-of-call, and lose original crew
  in battle or (more often) to disease, so after a couple of years
  it might be more a Moluccan or Madurese crew than a Japanese
  one.  In the Atlantic, for example, crews were almost equal
  parts African, European, and 'mixed' Caribbean/North American,
  with no designated 'identity' beyond that of the captain.

Japanese pirates during the period that the Ninja sets apply often
picked up Koreans from ports they raided as part of the crew.

Chris