 Castle / Ninja / 63
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:02:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
In lugnet.castle.ninja, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  I think there's a minor difference between full-blown junks
  and sampans (sorry, I learned the spelling used by the US Navy
  during WWII--as maru traffic vanished, US subs began spending
  torpedoes on sampans...and quays, and bridges, and anything
  else--in one case a warhead was used to blow up a train.  But
  I digress, as usual).

Was the train in the water? Can you recommend any good books about submarines
the Pacific theater? I've read the Pacific volumes of Samuel Eliot Morison's
History of US Naval Operations, but I don't remember there being too much in
there about subs.

   The most entertaining book I read about US subs in the Pacific
   was the venerable 'Pig Boats,' a popular-issue book that was
   as of 1992 still available in paperback.  As for academic books,
   Morison like most was still enamoured with the skimmers.  They
   don't quite appreciate that it's the submarines that may have
   been the decisive arm of the Navy.  US subs were operating close
   to Japan from early 1942 on--even, for a time, in the Sea of
   Japan.  They were responsible for something like 1/2 of all
   naval tonnage sunk as well as about 80% of all merchant shipping
   lost by Japan during the war.  From around 7 million tons of
   ships, plus ~3 million built during the war, down to about 200,000
   tons at the end.  Ack.  What Germany attempted, it seems, the US
   brought to fruition.

   Oooh, the train.  That's a great story.  By 1945, with few
   targets to shoot at, bored sub crews would occasionally shell
   the coast at random and, in one instance, sent about five or six
   people ashore with a torpedo warhead and set it up on the local
   railroad tracks so it'd take the train out...as for other odd
   things, USS Bowfin (IIRC) has a dock, a crane, and a bus on its
   battle flag--because, well, it torpedoed a dock, and the crane
   and bus came down with it.  They came in *close* from 1944 on,
   even picking up downed fliers in Tokyo Bay.

  That's China you're talking about.  The Treasure Fleet of
  Cheng He that made many voyages to south Asia and East Africa
  was, in fact, the largest fleet assembled during the age of
  sail.  Not until the Jubilee reviews of Victorian Britain
  did larger fleets appear.

  For some reason, the Emperor decided that any ship over two
  masts (IIRC) was no longer allowed--records were destroyed,
  skills lost, and the like.  I've seen drawings of some of
  these ships from the eunuch's treasure fleet--they were
  friggin' *enormous*, six-masted things roughly four times
  the size of Columbus's whole expedition.

I think I read somewhere that he was also a Muslim and that didn't go over too
well.

   I'm not sure--usually when someone becomes a eunuch that's
   pretty much the defining characteristic of their being.  It's
   also the source of their incredible power.  The Chinese attitude
   was that, with enough work, anyone could become civilized like
   the Chinese (and then of course pay homage...).

  A citation for those interested:  _When China Ruled the Seas:
  The Treasure Fleet of the Dragon Throne, 1400-1433_ by Louise
  Levathes (London: Simon & Shuster, 1994) is *the* reference
  for the mighty Ming navy, and a splendid piece of scholarship
  to boot.  Take that, Flash Gordon!

I put a hold on that. Thanks, Lindsay.

   I hope it's as exciting as I think it is...we history geeks can
   find the most boring works fascinating.  I mean, come on, I study
   surveying for goodness sake.

  But the Chinese did use rockets and cannon militarily from
  at least the 15th century AD, but in all likelihood far
  longer.  It wasn't refined into broadsides and grapeshot,
  but the idea that China had gunpowder and 'didn't know what
  to do with it' is nothing more than an amazingly persistent
  (imperial) myth.

Ooh, rockets! Would they have been on ships or only on land? I know the British
used rockets from ships at some point.

   'And the rockets' red glare...' 18th century on.

   IIRC the rockets were also seaborne.  They had more scare-
   the-locals and start-big-fires value than anything--no 18th-
   century Wehrner von Brauns running about or the like.  They
   were all solid-fuel, too.

  I agree, depends on the period.  Japanese had small arms from
  their first contact with the Dutch and Portuguese, though it
  was quite regulated.  It did however cause havoc and (IIRC)
  those who ventured out onto the sea would have gained these
  weapons through trade and plunder.  The only catch is that not
  too many small arms were produced 'at home'--it was restricted
  and only for those who could afford them socially and fiscally.
  But pirates were pretty good at improvisation, at least the
  idealised sort we're trying to emulate.

At the very least, I would think spears, bows, and crossbows would be • employed.

  Composite bows definitely--China and Japan learnt that from
  the Mongols in much the same way that Europe did, with the
  major difference that the Mongols *became* China's ruling
  class...but Japan and Korea, definitely.

I'll probably go with muskets, bows, and swords.

   I forget the name, but the Japanese had a word for the musket
   that dates to the 16th century.  I remember an article had been
   written on the use of gunpowder in Japan following European
   contact, and how it was eventually contained, but the cite has
   escaped me at present.  I'll ask the Dutch when I talk to them.

  Yeah.  See above for the book cite--again, well worth a weekend
  of sporadic reading.  I managed to sneak it onto my exam reading
  list for global history...;)

A professor who assigns actual books! Where do you teach? I used to be a
history major as well as PoliSci, but I had to drop it because the classes and
professors were a joke. One of my professors whom I had to continually correct
finally told me that 'dates aren't that important'.

   Actually, your professor is kind of correct.  Memorizing dates
   is like memorizing chemical interactions--that's what references
   are there for.  You need to know the basics, the generalities,
   the trends, and the big stories, but one can very easily become
   bogged down in dates, which don't mean anything by themselves.
   HOWever you generally try not to say that after class has begun.
   You point it out from the very start.  (I only grade down on
   dates when the dates are wayyyyy off...or the order.  Who knew
   that the US Civil War was a direct consequence of World War II?)

   Faculty a joke?  Where on Earth are you?  I want to compete in
   the job pool against the jokes--man, that's like grenade fishing
   in a barrel.  I'm still working on my PhD, so they don't give
   me too many classes--the exam reading list I'm talking about
   is my *own* for the last examination I have to take before I can
   forget about jumping through hoops and write my thesis and (gasp)
   be done.  As much as I like Rutgers, I'm ready to go do something
   productive (or at least more financially rewarding) than being
   a student.

   best

   Lindsay

   FUT -> .people