 Castle / Ninja / 58
Re: pirate + ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:04:17 GMT

"Marc Nelson Jr." wrote:

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Chris Barker writes:

No pirate ships.  I don't have any and they are WAY too expensive in
Japan.  Two pics from that MoC are here
I plan to rebuild and overhaul this idea later since very few of the
photos came out well.

Chris

That's a great scene! You can build some neat small ships out of non-pirate
pieces - then you could do a Commodore Perry scene.

I'm still working 300 years before that!

Well, you have definitely inspired me - I already have my pirate crew
assembled, and I'm going to start working on my junk today. I have some
questions about Japanese naval history (for you or anybody else who knows):

Before Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea, there was really no Japanese
"navy" so ship building tended to be on a fairly small scale, except for
troop transports which were very boxy.

-did junks ever carry cannon?

extremely unlikely, but not impossible.

-would sailors/pirates have been armed with muskets, or only swords and such?

probably bows & arrows and swords, muskets were pretty uncommon since
they were expensive.  Pistols absolutely not.

I'm pretty short on my knowledge in this area.  Sorry I couldn't help
more.

Chris

-what would they have worn - helmets, bare-headed, or the pirate 'do-rags'?

Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing your pics.

-Marc