 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / *335 (-20)
Re: NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:07:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Mike Walsh wrote:

"Todd Thuma" <thumat@gactr.uga.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Mike Walsh wrote:

A bunch snipped

Mike

Mike,

Thanks! I posted in part out of fun and part out of annoyance. Had I been in the
area I would have definitely dropped by. Hey, a planetarium and a LEGO event, my
two favorite loves in one. I would have been there. Sadly, I live too far away
to to have been there with 4 hours notice.

And, yes, I saw the pics Joe posted. Your NC folks always seem to have a lot of
fun and put on a great show.

Sincerely,

Todd

Re: NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:11:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Mike Walsh wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

I am a little confused on the tense used in the above paragraph. Since the
event
happened on the 3rd and 4th and the post was made on the 3rd (same month)
should
the tense have been past tense? Instead, the tense implied the event was
happening in the future. While I fundamentally agree that a post made at
11:00
AM GMT (7 AM EST) is in the future of an event starting at 12 PM EST (4 PM
GMT).

Better late than never eh?

Too bad this was not made a week or more ago, when the notice to the
community
might have generated some participation and/or visitation.

Absolutely.  I think it was simple oversight that this didn't happen.
People get busy and things get dropped.  We did have a number of posts to
the NCLUG Yahoo Group so I believe we got pretty good local coverage.

The link supplied by the way dates their post Jan 11th, 2007. Would that
have
been too early to post to LUGNET? My apologies if I missed a previous post
on
this event.

No, I don't think it would have been to early.  It could have been followed
up with a reminder posting the week of the event.

I am standing by for the POST event wrap-up. I would dearly like to see
pictures
of the layout and MOCs. Many of these events are my inspiration to build
and be
creative, if only to copy what others have done (hahahahaha).

Respectfully,

Todd

Joe Meno has posted a wrap up, did you catch that?  It was a fun event, I
wish I could have spent more time there.  The Planatarium staff were very
pleased with the event and were very supportive.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com
http://blog.carolinatrainbuilders.com - My LEGO Blog

Re: NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Mike Walsh wrote:
On February 3rd and 4th NCLUG in cooperation with the Morehead Planatarium
at the University of North Carlina Chapel Hill hosts LEGO Palooza.  The 3rd
LEGO Palooza expands to a 2 day event running from 12-4 both Saturday and
Sunday.  This year the display exhibits expand from Space themed to all
themes.  Al particular interest are large Castle, Star Wars and Town
layouts.  NCLTC will have a small train layout on display.  There is also a
large collection of bricks for kids and adults to build with.

For more information and directions, visit the Morehead Planatarium web
site:

http://www.moreheadplanetarium.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news_item&id=371

Admission is free.

I am a little confused on the tense used in the above paragraph. Since the event
happened on the 3rd and 4th and the post was made on the 3rd (same month) should
the tense have been past tense? Instead, the tense implied the event was
happening in the future. While I fundamentally agree that a post made at 11:00
AM GMT (7 AM EST) is in the future of an event starting at 12 PM EST (4 PM GMT),
it would have been beneficial to have more than a few hours notice.

Too bad this was not made a week or more ago, when the notice to the community
might have generated some participation and/or visitation.

The link supplied by the way dates their post Jan 11th, 2007. Would that have
been too early to post to LUGNET? My apologies if I missed a previous post on
this event.

I am standing by for the POST event wrap-up. I would dearly like to see pictures
of the layout and MOCs. Many of these events are my inspiration to build and be
creative, if only to copy what others have done (hahahahaha).

Respectfully,

Todd

Re: NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:16:35 GMT

[...]

Event Report: LEGOPalooza, Morrhead Plaetarium, Chapel Hill, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 06:07:36 GMT

Hi all,

as announced previously, NCLUG was the host of LEGOPalooza this weekend at Morehead Planetarium. This year, the event was expanded to 2 days, and was earlier in the year compared to previous paloozas.

This time, we had a Star Wars display with sets from Sabrina and Signe Gravatt and customs by Gareth Bowler:

a Harry Potter display by Jennifer Joy Poole:

a Batman display by Taylor Poole:

a town layout by Joe Evangelista, Mike Walsh and Joe Meno

Joe E:

Mike Walsh:

a castle display by Cyndi Bradham:

a retro town layout by Carin and Jane Proctor:

a heliport by Team Joe:

and an NXT demo/display by me:

There were also displays by Ian Brusso (Technic), David Winegar (Space) and Gupreet Jawa (Castle).

There also was a building zone:

Attendance was about 1300 for the event - 700 on Saturday and 600 on Sunday.

So how was it?

It was a lot of fun! Having way too many events for my good, I can say that I really enjoyed doing this one because I did a live demo and did some true interaction - the NXT models were from instructions and progras that Philippe Hurbain posted last week The spy bot was perfect for the event, as it was small, easy to repair (they did fall off the table), and used one set each, which was really nice to talk about the sets.

I also had a joystick built, but for the fast pace of the event, I wasn’t able to use it, so by Sunday it was converted to another NXT spy bot. Also the joystick was stuck to interaction with one person, while the spybots could interact with anyone it happened to ‘see’.

There were a lot of questions about the NXT, and I had my laptop running to show the program for the bots. And the general reaction from the kids was summed up by this:

Gallery is here after moderation:

We also got media coverage from a local TV station (NBC17) and two local papers.

Many thanks to all those who participated, and also to Karen Kornegay and the staff of Morehead Planetarium - it’s always fun to do a show, and this has become the event I look forward to the most!

Yep, it’s blurry, but it summed up how I felt - this rocked!

Joe Meno
Administrator, NCLUG

Subject:
NCLUG Show / LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planatarium in Chapel Hill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:13:04 GMT

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com
http://blog.carolinatrainbuilders.com - My LEGO Blog

Re: What has become of NCLTC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:33:41 GMT

"Jordan Schwarz" <jbschwarz@ThisIsReallygmail.com> wrote in message
Hi all,

I've noticed a lack of activity regarding the NC LEGO Train Club and
wanted to
find out whether it still meets and if not, whether there are individuals
interested in restarting the club.

I should add that, one goal of my query is to encourage local train fans
to join
the Save 9V Trains movement (joining is free, but we want more
participating
members), <http://save.9vtrains.com>, in addition to evaluating if there
is
still interest in NCLTC.

Thanks!
Jordan

NCLTC is still alive and well although not very active.  With GATS falling
apart there isn't a regular train show coming to Raleigh any more.  The one
regular show  in this area is run by the Neuse River Valley Model Railroad
Club (http://www.nrvmrrc.org/) and it is held the first weekend in November.
Unfortunately this is a weekend which I have a family commitment and this
year is no different.

We are however, gettting ready to set up our layout for a 2-3 month stint at
South Hills Mall as part of their Holiday display.  We are just in the
planning stage so if anyone is interested in participating in this layout,
please contact me so I can add you to the planning mailing list.  We have
plenty of room this time in the space SHM has given us.  There is more
information on the NCLTC web site at:  http://www.ncltc.cc

The bulk of the NCLTC (and NCLUG too) communication is handled via two Yahoo
Groups (one for each).  If you want to participate in either, see these
links:

Regarding your solicatation for new members for the 9V Trains forum, the
train community seems to be quite content with LUGNET.trains.  This is one
of the reasons ILTCO has never set up discussion forums.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: Next Meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Joe Evangelista wrote:
Now that september is coming to a close and BrickFest is starting to become a
memory, perhaps it's time to get together for a monthly meeting in the next
coming weeks.  I'm sure there's lots to discuss!

I am unable to host due to the small nature of my townhouse.  Any suggestions
for time and place?

  -Joe-

Next meeting is Oct 21, at Eva Perry Regional Library in Apex, 1-4 pm. How's
that?

Joe Meno

Subject:
Next Meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:45:23 GMT

Now that september is coming to a close and BrickFest is starting to become a
memory, perhaps it's time to get together for a monthly meeting in the next
coming weeks.  I'm sure there's lots to discuss!

I am unable to host due to the small nature of my townhouse.  Any suggestions
for time and place?

  -Joe-

Re: Plans for Labor Day weekend? -- Anyone want to build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:47:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Joe Evangelista wrote:
Hey,

Kinda new to the Raleigh area and just joined NCLUG (thanks to Joe Meno at
BrickFest!).  I was wondering if anyone was doing anything on this extended
weekend.  Due to the bad weather it kinda kills any beach or outdoors plans.  If
anyone wanted to have an informal meeting and just get together do some
building, let me know.  Reply here or email me.

Hopefully some people still look at this area of lugnet... the last posting was
about a year ago!!

  -Joe-

I'd like to do something, but I am out of town in Faytteville. I should be back
Monday.

We are a bit overdue for a meeting:-)

Joe

Re: Plans for Labor Day weekend? -- Anyone want to build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:17:19 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Joe Evangelista wrote:
Hey,

Kinda new to the Raleigh area and just joined NCLUG (thanks to Joe Meno at
BrickFest!).  I was wondering if anyone was doing anything on this extended
weekend.  Due to the bad weather it kinda kills any beach or outdoors plans.  If
anyone wanted to have an informal meeting and just get together do some
building, let me know.  Reply here or email me.

Hopefully some people still look at this area of lugnet... the last posting was
about a year ago!!

  -Joe-

Joe,

Yep, there are people still looking at this newsgroup.  I'm in Boone, NC so I
haven't made it to any NCLUG meetings in a long time.  I can't do anything this
weekend, but I am going to try to participate more later in the year.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net

Subject:
Plans for Labor Day weekend? -- Anyone want to build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:18:52 GMT

Hey,

Kinda new to the Raleigh area and just joined NCLUG (thanks to Joe Meno at
BrickFest!).  I was wondering if anyone was doing anything on this extended
weekend.  Due to the bad weather it kinda kills any beach or outdoors plans.  If
anyone wanted to have an informal meeting and just get together do some
building, let me know.  Reply here or email me.

Hopefully some people still look at this area of lugnet... the last posting was
about a year ago!!

  -Joe-

Subject:
Exploring the Universe Display at the National Air and Space Museum, April 16th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:31:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

WAMALUG and NCLUG were asked to display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC for Universe Day, which fell on Saturday April 16th.

Members from both WAMALUG and NCLUG brought in Moonbase modules,

spacecraft

aircraft

contraptions

building

but most of all, people

Many thanks to the staff of the National Air and Space Museum, most notably Mychelene Giampaoli and David DeVorkin. They provided us with the support needed to make the event happen, and also some fun stuff!

Also thanks to the members of both WAMALUG and NCLUG who participated:

Jeff Stembel
Margaret Keys
Tony Perez
Dan Rubin
Gareth Bowler
Michael Harrod
Derek Schin
Philip Moyer
Rich Schamus
Linda Mateo
Fradel Gonzales
Rafe Donohue (and family)
Magnus Lauglo
Galen Fairbanks
Todd Thuma
and Sabrina Gravatt

Thanks also to Kunie DeVorkin, who built this wonderful model of the Museum, but could not attend because of illness:

There were models built by others who could not attend:

Mike Walsh
Geoff Gray
Adrian Drake

There were also models provided by Shane Larson and Felix Greco, but because of an incident that happened that I will explain, did not get displayed. My apologies to them.

I need to extend the most thanks to Christina Hitchcock. I was involved in a car accident (I was rear-ended 3 blocks away by a fellow club member) and to compound things, I locked myself out of my car with the motor running! So I was stuck at the site until a locksmith came, which was 2.5 hours later!!

Christina stepped in and took care of the organizing and made things work, and while I got things running before the event, she actually took care of the event.

If you want to see pictures of the display, you can go

here or here or here or even here

This was a great event, and I’m already hearing that there is interest in another display, so thanks to everyone!

Joe Meno
Event Coordinator, Exploring the Universe Day
NCLUG Administrator
WAMALUG Member
and of course, .space paparazzi!

Subject:
Exploring the Universe Display with WAMALUG at the National Air and Space Museum, April 16th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.wv, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:36:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

WAMALUG (Washington and Metro area LUG), along with members from NCLUG (North Carolina LUG) and other LEGO builders will be involved with the National Air and Space Museum with Exploring the Universe Family Day:

You can find the release here.

If you are in the area, drop by and see a Moonbase, Star Wars creations by Gareth Bowler and Galen Fairbanks, planes, spacecraft and even a model of the museum!

Many thanks to the members of WAMALUG and NCLUG who will be participating, and to the many builders who sent me models to show! There will be an event report afterward that will fully credit the participants!

Joe Meno
Display Coordinator, NCLUG Administrator, WAMALUG, um, member, and
.space paparazzi!

Subject:
LEGO®Palooza...or I got by with a little help from my friends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:07:34 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

In January, the North Carolina LEGO Users Group was asked to provide displays for the first LEGOPalooza at Morehead Planetarium, in Chapel Hill, NC, February 26. As Administrator for NCLUG, I decided to make a call from some friends in other LUGs to help me out, since this was space-oriented and I wanted a little more depth in that building area, most notably the Moonbase layout.

And they answered the call..

from Ohio
Adrian Drake

from Pennsylvania
Shane Larson

from Illinois
Felix Greco

from DelVaLUG
Jim Foulds
Tim Caffey
Philip Thorne

from WAMALUG
Christina Hitchcock
Magnus Lauglo
Robert Gurskey
Nick Kappatos
Fradel Gonzales

This was one of many wonderful surprises...our membership joined in in a large way, with this event becoming one of the largest in recent memory in member participation. Participants included:

well, me (Moonbase Modules and spacecraft)
Mike Walsh (Train and Moonbase Modules)
Adam Skelding (Moonbase Modules)
in the distance...

Carin Proctor (Moonbase Modules)
building away..

Gareth Bowler (Star Wars UCS customs)
Sabrina Gravatt (Star Wars and Classic Space sets)
- with her Star Destroyer

and the Star Wars table

David Winegar (Moonbase Modules)
his garden with Adrian Drale’s Jonh Deere

Everyone jumped in and built and helped each other...and Carin built some of the neatest modules with her Crabtree Valley Malldule and monorail/train station...and Paulo Chiquito and his son showed off their MINDSTORMS biped walkers...

and Rafe Donohue brought a Ball Contraption!

All this added to the most wonderful surprise...attendance was originally estimated to be 200 for the whole day.

We did that in the first 2 hours. Total attendance was around 1000! People were waiting for us to open (and we were a little behind schedule) And some other great things!

There was a contest for best sculpture...with a family membership to the Planetarium and this award being the prize

Our club brick was used for this, and my guess that maybe a few entries would be built by the kids. By the end of day, there were over 300 entries, and this was left of the club brick, which usually almost fills this tub

This will give you an idea of the number of entries:

Tommy Armstrong arrived with engraved bricks and donated them to the planetarium for awards, which was another surprise!

and the final surprise...

we sold minifigs for the event, with all proceeds ($2) going toward the Planetarium for summer camp memberships. By the end of the event, $130 was earned, which was enough to get one child in the camp! Also, the rest of the minifigs were donated to the Planetarium, which will sell them with the proceeds going a summer camp scholarship in NCLUG’s name!

We got media coverage from the two local newspapers and two TV stations, and things look really good for another event with the Planetarium...

so from me, thanks to everyone who helped out! This was a wonderful event thanks to all of you!

Joe Meno Administrator, NCLUG

PS More pix will be coming...

Re: Any NCLTC/LUG members living in Franklin, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
I will be moving to Franklin, N. Carolina in March or April of 2005 and was
wondering if any members live in that area. I'd like to get in touch by the time
I make the move.

Steven Weiser

The western-most AFOL I've met in North Carolina is Thomas Main in Boone. Your
best bet may be to try the North Georgia folks since it is far closer. I don't
know if there's an 'NGLUG', but there is an NGLTC.  http://www.ngltc.org

Cary

Steven,
no problem here, except you need to get through the mountains in GA to get down
towards us (sometimes a bit of a pain).  Even if you want to do NGLTC and NCLTC
stuff, I don't see a problem.  It's not like clubs are competing for people--as
I recall, there's quite a few of us in multiple clubs.

If you want, join the NGLTC yahoo newsgroup and you can start from there.  If
you like more than trains, you can also join the DixieLUG newsgroup as well.

Scott Lyttle

Re: Any NCLTC/LUG members living in Franklin, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:58:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
I will be moving to Franklin, N. Carolina in March or April of 2005 and was
wondering if any members live in that area. I'd like to get in touch by the time
I make the move.

Steven Weiser

The western-most AFOL I've met in North Carolina is Thomas Main in Boone. Your
best bet may be to try the North Georgia folks since it is far closer. I don't
know if there's an 'NGLUG', but there is an NGLTC.  http://www.ngltc.org

There isn't a NGLUG but there is DixieLUG http://www.dixielug.org

jt

Re: Any NCLTC/LUG members living in Franklin, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:42:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
I will be moving to Franklin, N. Carolina in March or April of 2005 and was
wondering if any members live in that area. I'd like to get in touch by the time
I make the move.

Steven Weiser

The western-most AFOL I've met in North Carolina is Thomas Main in Boone. Your
best bet may be to try the North Georgia folks since it is far closer. I don't
know if there's an 'NGLUG', but there is an NGLTC.  http://www.ngltc.org

Cary

Subject:
Any NCLTC/LUG members living in Franklin, NC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:18:57 GMT

I will be moving to Franklin, N. Carolina in March or April of 2005 and was
wondering if any members live in that area. I'd like to get in touch by the time
I make the move.

Steven Weiser

Subject:
Apollo 11 Event at the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science: Mission Accomplished!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.scibrick, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:49:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi All,

NCLUG hosted a display at the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science July 17 to commemorate the Apollo 11 moonshot. This was the first space-oriented display done by our group, so there were things done by builders of all themes in the display. A local robotics group was also invited, which was to bfing a life-size Mars Rover, but the rover didn’t show.

Builders from NELUG (Teddy Welsh), WAMALUG (Nick Kappatos and Fradel Gonzalez), NCLUG (me, Mike Walsh, Cary Clark, Gareth Bowler, Cyndi Bradham, Evangeline Reynolds,Samuel Cox, and David Winegar and SciBrick (Chris Giddens - also of DixieLUG)participated in the display. There is also another builder who is currently unaffiliated who provided models, Shane Larson.

There was a total of 11 Moonbase modules that were presented and a multitude of spacecraft, including those built by the kids who cam in and played with the K-8!

The folder has all the photos.

Considering that there was very little publicity concerning this event, except for a modest press release sent out literally a few days before, there was good turnout, with lots of rushes and then suddenly dead spots. Two TV crews showed up and I got interviewed by the local NBC station, which actually was shown on the 6 pm news. Another news clip can be found here

Some fun things:

Spaceship by Samuel Cox. Moonbase modules by: (front row, left-right) Ssamuel Cox, Joe Meno - my first!!, (Second row-blue corridor addition) Cary Clark, (third row - grey building) Mike Walsh, (fourth row - Moonbase a Go-Glow) Mike Walsh.

Gareth’s AT-AT - it’s first public showing!

Teddy Welsh’s Lunar Cheese Mine, with Nick Kappato’s Excavator assisting...and a certain washer bot on the side:)

The spacey version of the NCLUG sign, done by David Winegar.

Old and new..

And the crew (l - r) Teddy Welsh, Cyndi Bradham, and Gareth Bowler.

Many thanks to all those who participated! And who knows, a lot of this may end up at BrickFest!

Joe Meno
.space paparazzi
NCLUG Benevolent Dictator
BrickFest Assistant Coordinator