Re: Language snobs(was: MichLUG Meeting - March 2nd, 2002 - Scott's wrap-up)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:30:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Steve Ringe writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Scott's meeting/show summaries are an informal tradition, but things we put
on our website or hand out at shows need more thorough editing, IMO.

Amy, I find this last post insulting,

It should be noted, that as the person responsible for the website, I did not
find Amy's previous post to be insulting (nor this one.) I am aware of my
shortcomings, and I welcome MichLUGers pointing out grammatical and spelling
errors on the site.

Sorry, it was not meant to be. I should add that I find your summaries very
useful and entertaining, and as I stated as quoted above, they are an
informal tradition and I wouldn't suggest they be held to a higher standard
than any other forum post. My own posts are crafted with no more care than
anyone else's and they contain as many errors as anybody's. The website and
show fliers, however, are our interface to the world. They need careful
editing.

True, I will try to remember to double check everything to the best of my
abilities when updating the site.

It seems rather amusing to me to see you volunteer your services on issues
regarding the website, when the lack of services caused what happened
earlier.

Actually I said it'd be awkward for me to do so and specifically stated that
I was not offering my services.

When I read your other post, I misunderstood as well.  I understand now.

Careful editing takes time, particularly when one takes material from others
and needs to revise it while maintaining as much of the author's writing as
possible. I spent more time editing the "about us" info than I would have if
I had written it myself, and I did that because I wanted to give someone else
an opportunity to contribute. I made no attempt to hide that I didn't have
the time or enthusiasm for doing this, and I'm happy the website is now in
the hands of someone with more of both.

Time and enthusiasm I have.  Writing skills are in development.

Writing skills take time to develop, and it shouldn't be insulting that some
people are better at it than others. Some people get a lot more practice than
others. Recognizing that not everyone is best suited for *everything* is a
bit of maturity that I find lacking in the LEGO community, and it's why I'm
participating less and less in MichLUG. There are too many cooks, and not all
of them are doing things they are best suited for, but far be it from me to
step on anyone's ego. So I'll bow out now.

Bow out...? Of the conversation or the Club?  My hope is not the latter.

Amy

-Jason

Jason Spears
MichLUG - http://www.michlug.org/