Re: Language snobs(was: MichLUG Meeting - March 2nd, 2002 - Scott's wrap-up)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:13:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Scott's meeting/show summaries are an informal tradition, but things we put • on
our website or hand out at shows need more thorough editing, IMO.

Amy, I find this last post insulting,

Sorry, it was not meant to be. I should add that I find your summaries very
useful and entertaining, and as I stated as quoted above, they are an informal
tradition and I wouldn't suggest they be held to a higher standard than any
other forum post. My own posts are crafted with no more care than anyone • else's
and they contain as many errors as anybody's. The website and show fliers,
however, are our interface to the world. They need careful editing.

It seems rather amusing to me to see you volunteer your services on issues
regarding the website, when the lack of services caused what happened • earlier.

Actually I said it'd be awkward for me to do so and specifically stated that I
was not offering my services.

Careful editing takes time, particularly when one takes material from others • and
needs to revise it while maintaining as much of the author's writing as
possible. I spent more time editing the "about us" info than I would have if I
had written it myself, and I did that because I wanted to give someone else an
opportunity to contribute. I made no attempt to hide that I didn't have the • time
or enthusiasm for doing this, and I'm happy the website is now in the hands of
someone with more of both.

Writing skills take time to develop, and it shouldn't be insulting that some
people are better at it than others. Some people get a lot more practice than
others. Recognizing that not everyone is best suited for *everything* is a bit
of maturity that I find lacking in the LEGO community, and it's why I'm
participating less and less in MichLUG. There are too many cooks, and not all • of
them are doing things they are best suited for, but far be it from me to step • on
anyone's ego. So I'll bow out now.

Amy