 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 153
Re: NALUG takes 2nd at Great Edmonton Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:04:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Dan Parker writes:
Fantastic job, NALUG members!  When do we get a show report?  Size of layout,
unique features, who participated, anecdotes, new ideas discussed......

well, now that I'm awake, I'll give it a shot. :)

The layout was 90" by 120", pretty small, really.  As a result it was a bit
cramped, especially for whoever was operating at the time.  Next time around
we should be able to get more layout space - we had the tables (and stuff) to
do 120"x150", but they wouldn't give us that much space.  I'm not sure what
they were expecting, but I don't think it was what they got.  We also got
invited down to Supertrain 2001 in Calgary, but we haven't really talked about
it yet - although they implied we could have all the space we wanted. :)

Participants/contributors were: Michel Magnan (tables, track, much rolling
stock and many buildings), Steve Chapple (monorail loop & bridge), John Koob
(NALUG sign & the guts of the working grain elevator), Chris Gray (logging
camp, some 'older' wooden box cars, other rolling stock?), Kevin Maynes ("Big
Red", other rolling stock, dry wit) & me (houses, Wink's convenience, monorail
platform & James Jessiman Memorial Park).

We had two loops that could be run as a continuous track(although we didn't do
so until late Sunday), and a few sidings.  I think the general concensus was
that next time we'd all like a little more room.  It felt compressed, and we
were quite limited in the rolling stock we could show at any given time - only
3 (4-ish) sidings that could hold 5 or 6 cars each.

I'd say the "cool things" were the working grain elevator (or at least,
working until us non-technic people got at it - John claims it's always had
jamming problems, but I think he's just being kind. <grin>), the logging camp
(narrow gauge logging train), the two bridges, and Kevin's Big Red.  I'm not
sure what it was really called, but dozens of kids used empirical methods to
point it out ("The big red one in the middle"). :)

I'm fairly fond of JJMP, and it's very likely to survive and be a regular
feature of layouts (assuming no one else objects).

We were well received by the organizers, other hobbyists and most especially
the crowd.  About 25 or 30 LUGNET 1-sheets got handed out (all we had), and
many parents were being harrangued for LEGO on their way home. :)  At least 1
serious-looking hobbyist was honestly interested in cost & availability.  He
didn't seem too put off by the (fairly unanimous) response of "5 figures."

James