 Off-Topic / Fun / 4215
Re: Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:25:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bryan Wong writes:
Hi Pawel,

First things first.  I love all of the work contributed so far by various
people to this Castle World.  I hope some day (soon) I'll have the time (and
digital camera) to contribute too!

If we had scales, then Ewan and Verneer both would have a fighting ability
Maxed out.  Ian isn't an incredible fighter himself, but being a military
genius, he doesn't need to have great fighting skill.

The descriptions/stories of your heroes remind me of the characters created by
a certain author.  If you are interested in a world with wonderful heroes and
powerful villains, I recommend R. A. Salvatore to you.   He has written
various books, but there is one particular series that I am especially
interested in.  This series follows the adventures of a character named Drizzt
Do'urden and his friends.

Just to give you a bit of background (and perhaps to entice you further):
Drizzt is a dark elf.  This race lives underground and they are evil beyond
belief.  The races that live above ground fear these elves because they are
very powerful.  Anyways, Drizzt is a gifted warrior with many good virtues.
He has rejected the evil ways of the dark elves and has run off to the
surface.  Obviously he is not welcome there...

Now on the surface he eventually encounters another character named Artemis
Entreri.  He is a talented assassin, and he takes pride in his work.  Drizzt
realizes that Artemis is the total opposite of himself.  Their fighting skills
are equal; obviously they are mortal enemies.  Drizzt hates Artemis because
Artemis is an example of what he would become if he remained underground.  On
the other hand, Artemis hates Drizzt because the dark elf is the one target he
has failed to kill... (Artemis really reminds me of Verneer: cocky, proud, and
talented)

Enough of me spoiling the story.  If you intend to pursue this further, I
suggest you look for:

-Dark Elf Trilogy:
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn
(3 books that follow the life of Drizzt starting with his birth) OR

-Icewind Dale Trilogy:
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
Halfling's Gem
(adventures of Drizzt and his friends on the surface)

After you read any of these books, I guarantee you you'll be hooked and you'll
go crazy in search of the next book... In total there are currently 12 books
about Drizzt and his friends.

I also recommend this author to all other fans of fantasy.

(Follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Bryan

   wow, bryan!  have you started on your own lego version of this for Castle
World!? it would be a welcome addition! nothing like a bunch of dark elves
running around to keep the foresmen, peasants, and knights on their toes! i
have a character called goblin boy who runs amock, but he can't be
everywhere at once!

    later ~ craig~