 Local / United States / New York / *847 (-20)
Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:37:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Avishai Gebler wrote:
Greetings-

I'm newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would
love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much
going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I'm not, can we make it so I'm wrong?

- Avishai

Hi Avishai,

There are a number of AFOL's in and around NYC, but gatherings are few and far
between, unfortunately.  A few of us met a couple of times over the past few
years or so as NYCLUG but it never got off the ground or amounted to more than a
couple of fun meetings.

If you are interested in arranging something send me a private email and maybe
we can get a group together for a meet and greet and see what comes of it.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 02:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Elroy Davis wrote:
   You might try GardenSLUG in New Jersey. They are probably the closest to you.

NELUG is a fun group, but we’re a bit north of you. :)

-Elroy

I’m actually from the Boston area, but I go to school in New York. Though, I suppose if i’m ever home for an extended period of time I’ll come check y’all out.

-- Avishai

Re: LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Avishai Gebler wrote:
   Greetings-

I’m newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I’m not, can we make it so I’m wrong?
  1. Avishai

You might try GardenSLUG in New Jersey. They are probably the closest to you.

NELUG is a fun group, but we’re a bit north of you. :)

-Elroy

Subject:
LUGs in and around the city
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:36:41 GMT

Greetings-

I'm newish to this AFOL business, and have never been part of a LUG. I would
love to meet with the other talented builders I know are in and around the area.

Given the lack of recent posting within this region, I assume there is not much
going on in the community sense around the area at the moment.

Am I wrong in this regard, and if I'm not, can we make it so I'm wrong?

- Avishai

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 20:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Ed McGlynn wrote:
Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Ed,

On a similar note, if you ever get requests for any upstate New York events that
might need manpower, let me know.  Though I'm a NELUGer (NELUGite?), I'm
probably as close to New York as I am to most of the NELUG events (I'm in
southwestern Vermont).  I actually drive about 3 hours to most of our events, so
a 3 to 4 hour drive isn't out of the question for me.

My daughter and I actually visited the LUCNY layout at a show in Syracuse (I
think) a couple of years back. I was busy keeping an eye on her so I didn't get
a chance to introduce myself.

-Elroy

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 18:35:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

   The layout would only be for a weekend, on March 17-18, 2007, so it woul d
only be a temporary layout using privately own collections.  Based on my contact
with the Toy musem if someone were interested, there are many opportunities with
the museum so there might be a possibility of setting up a permanent display.

   What I'm looking for is someone to take over this project.  I have too much
going on right now, but this seems like a good opportunity to grow into
something more, so I really don't want the community to miss it.

   In regards to the other suggestions, I already tried ILTCO and LUCNY without
success so I posted to lugnet in hopes of getting someone's attention.

Jim,

I posted this to the NELUG list.  The general consensus so far is that this is a
long distance for us.  Our nearest member is over 4 hours from Rochester, and
most of us are more than 6 hours away.  This means that a temporary display
(setup + manning the layout + teardown) would be unrealistic for us, especially
on such a short timeframe.  Some members are interested in supporting a
permanent layout for the museum, since we presumably wouldn't have to be on-site
to babysit the layout.

Feel free to put the museum in touch with us (send them to www.nelug.org, or you
could give them my e-mail address) if you think they might want to pursue this
with us, but I'd hate to "take ownership" of this project from you since we
cannot commit enough resources to do a private layout there in March.

I am x-posting this to rtlToronto, because they are probably the closest LUG to
the Rochester area, and they may be able to help.

This looks like a great opportunity, and it would be a shame to let it get away.

I believe I was in contact with Jim before this event, and LUCNY couldn't get
the manpower to staff it that weekend.  The museum is a great venue, and I live
only a half-hour or so away from it, but most of our members are over 2 hours
away, and weren't available anyway.  I couldn't swing it myself.

Honestly, we get many requests for shows and displays throughout the year, but
our membership just hasn't diversified/grown enough to cover the broad Central
and Western New York area.  We have a core group that can't stretch that thinly
at the moment.  If I can assist NELUG or others with the pursuit of a permanent
layout at the museum, please let me know.

Just thought I'd follow up here.

Ed
LUCNY

Subject:
Need 5 helpers at FAO event next Sunday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:42:31 GMT

Hi, everybody...

Sorry for the last-minute message... I’m going to be doing an event at FAO Schwarz with some LEGO Master Builders next weekend, and after the show we’ll need some people to help break down what we create. (See here for an example of the event... Same idea, different model.)

We need a total of 10 people (we have 5 already) to basically sort bricks for about 2-3 hours on Sunday night around 8pm at FAO in Midtown. You’d each be given a $50 S&H gift certificate for your help.

Would any of you be able to help? Or do you know of other local AFOL folks that could also come?

I’m going to need to know pretty soon -- by this Monday! -- or else TLG will have to go another route for some volunteers. Feel free to either post or e-mail back.

Sean

--------------------
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional
http://www.seankenney.com

Subject:
the Iconic Art Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:25:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was asked by Rock Soup to display one of my Quads for the Iconic Art Show held in LITM - curated by John Ruddy.

Stop by LITM on Newark Ave, just off Grove St. and see the Art of Jersey City’s most Iconic Artists.

See the full Gallery - Click the image

Legomaster

Subject:
LEGOMASTER - ROCK SOUP - Tonight 1.27.07
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:54:51 GMT

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:14:02 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:19:02 GMT

[...]

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

http://www.iltco.org/clubs/?clubdetailid=4

CDC

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:43:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
   Hey gang,

I’m looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester. The National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display. Is there anyone that might be interested in helping out?

A good place to run this through would be ILTCO. I’m sure they’d have somebody who’d be able to point you in the right direction.

Kelly

Re: Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Jim Foulds wrote:
  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Although we aren't located in New York, NELUG has a band of trainheads in
western Massachusetts (and the surrounding colonies) who might be interested in
helping out.  I have posted to the club's newsgroup to see if there is any
interest.

Do you know if they are trying to set up a permanent layout using their own
brick, or would this be a temporary (privately-owned) display?  Any other
details you could provide on what they are trying to accomplish or what
timeframe (start date and duration of display) would be very helpful.

Subject:
Looking for Train Contact in New York
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:59:19 GMT

Hey gang,

  I'm looking for a contact in New York, that can get to Rochester.  The
National Toy museum wants to host a Lego Train Display.  Is there anyone that
might be interested in helping out?

Thanks,
   Jim F.

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Subject:
New LEGO city at FAO Schwarz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:07:42 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi everybody!

A few weeks ago, Dan Parker, Nathan Sawaya, and myself -- along with members from The LEGO Company -- unveiled a new LEGO display at FAO Schwarz in New York City.

The minifig-scale city of “Bricktropolis” is built on a 6-foot triangular table, with buildings that stretch up to 8 feet in the air. Below the city streets are glass windows that allow you to look underground and see everything from a subway train to Dino fossils. :) And there are buttons around the edge of the display that activate the subway and other animated items in the city.

Read more and see pictures

I rarely get to build with other folks, so this project was a real blast! The few photos I’ve got don’t do the model justice. There are a zillion little crazy street scenes that you just have to go look for. (Like Nathan’s angry chef... why is he running down the road waving a frying pan in the air? A block away there’s a thief running with a pizza...) :)

We had a lot of fun setting up the model over the course of two long days at FAO Schwarz. Kids got a kick out of seeing everything come together, and after everything was done, they got to come up to the model and push the big red buttons. :)

For those of you in the New York City area, feel free to check out the display! In addition to our city, some folks from The LEGO Company set up an animatronic display complete with cameras and flat-screen TVs... very cool!

Sean
- - - - -
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional
http://www.seankenney.com/lego

Subject:
Lots of LEGO-words built for celebrity press event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:33:07 GMT

Hi, everybody!

I finsihed up another project a few weeks ago, and I’m finally around to posting about it now... The models I made weren’t very intricate or complex, but they were fun to build nonetheless.

On April 6, TLG held a press conference in New York City where six celebrity panelists spoke about why LEGO was important to them as a child, and why it is important to their children.

I built 7 two-foot LEGO letters, spelling out the word “IMAGINE” using over 20,000 bricks. I also made miniature 2-inch tall versions of the word, and name plates for the six panelists: Matthew Broderick, Eileen Fisher, Mary Goulet, Heather Reider, Mitch Resnick, and Meri Cummings.

For the smaller letters on the nameplates and “mini IMAGINEs”, I actually built the models sideways (studs facing horizontally.) Since roman characters are generally defined by vertical lines rather than horizontal ones, turning LEGO bricks sideways means you can use the thin LEGO plates to create more detail than you could with upright LEGO bricks.

Anywho, you can read more about it on MOCpages... http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/17075

Sean
- - -
Sean Kenney
http://www.seankenney.com
LEGO Certified Professional

Subject:
LEGO models on the cover of New York Family Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:31:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi, everybody!

Last month I built 2 two-foot apartment buildings that were photograhped and featured in New York Family Magazine. One of the buildings was used for the April 2006 (current) issue cover, and the other was printed alongside the table of contents.

You can read a little more about it and see more photos at http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/16897

The buildings are technically “microscale”, since they’re roughly 1:150. I brought some microscale cars to the photoshoot, which the kids had a blast playing with. There’s also a little tiny microscale Simpsons family (sort of) located on the white building’s lower terrace. :)

For those of you in the New York City area, you can pick up a free copy of New York Family Magazine from streetside magazine stands (similar to the way The Village Voice is distributed).

Sean
- - - - -
Sean Kenney
LEGO Certified Professional
http://www.seankenney.com/lego

Subject:
4504 (MF) at Brooklyn Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:04:34 GMT

The Target at the Atlantic Center Mall had appx 15-20 of these last night at
$27.24 per copy.  The tag and sign reads $78 & change but upon scanning the
barcode I discovered the lower cost.  They are 75% off the orig $108.

I bought two.

Otherwise the shelves seemed bare to me.  I found no other deals (on Lego)

For those unfamiliar with Brooklyn, the mall is one stop into Brooklyn on the D
train. (Atlantic Ave/Pacific Street) and easily accessable from other trains as
well.  Aside from the fact that I live there, the neighborhood is relatively
safe.  :o)

Jonathan

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact