 Local / United States / Maine / 98
Re: NELUG Turns 50!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:40:39 GMT

On 11/16/1999, at 8:22 AM, Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.loc.us.me, Ryan Dennett writes:
Eric, I could make that 51, and 1 for ME. Although I'm not yet 18,
you said I would be welcome to come to meetings(which I
unfortunately am not at liberty to do) so I guess that means I could
also be a member, right. And if you do other things like the Mindfest,
I'd love to help out.
I've been meening to ask you anyway if I could become a "silent
JrFOL member", so, there, now I asked.

Ryan
ps Congrats on the speedy growth :-)

Ryan,

Thanks for your interest in NELUG.  What this all comes down to really is
liability.  I suppose I could set up an option like Todd is for the • LUGNET
memberships where a JrFOL could join with the consent of thier parent or • legal
guardians.  I know it looks like I should be able to meet you and your • family
this weekend at The Construction Site and maybe that will end up being • part of
the criteria (A face to face meeting with a parent/guardian).

You happen to appear to be a very mature and articulate JrFOL and I • personally
would not have a problem with you joining NELUG.  These are the issues in
question however if you were able to attend meetings.

1.  There is a chance alcoholic beverages at meetings and that is not • something
I want to be resposible for with minors in attendance.

2.  If we were ever to do a road trip I again would not want to be • responsible
for a minor without their parent/guardian.

3.  Just general liability with having a minor in attendance.  There are • a lot
of wackos in the world and I don't want to be responsible for their
actions.

In any case, a parent would be with me so in that respect, you
really wouldn't be liable for anything. As Christians, my family doesn't
approve of alcohol, but I don't think it would be a major problem as
long as you don't have people getting drunk :)
As I've mentioned before, I am 99% sure that I wouldn't be able to
attend meetings because I live @3 hours from the Boston area,
but I would like to be involved in other events like the mindfest.
If I had known about it sooner and we had not had something planned
for that day, I would have been begging my parents to take me :)

I suppose we could designate certain meetings as being JrFOL friendly and • we
would not have alcohol available to anyone.

Anyway I will think about it and I will think about adding an option on • the
form for minors.  I don't think it would hurt anyone to put you on the • mailing
list however so I can at least do that for you and at least at the moment • lets
take things on a case by case basis.

This is a very difficult (for me anyway) issue you raise and it is not • one to
be taken lightly.  Beyond that one of the main purposes NELUG was created • was
to give AFOL's a chance to meet other fans because we are more spread out • than
most JrFOLs.  We also don't want to have a bunch of crazy kids taking • over our
meetings (although like I said you seem quite mature and I would not • forsee a
problem).

I would also like to hear from other NELUG members or anyone else for • that
matter on this issue both for or against.

I think that if you were to allow JrFOLs to become members that it
should be only those who have reached the "teens". I think that one
of the reasons that I have maintained my interest in Lego is because
I don't have many friends(basically cause I don't attend public school),
and only one of my friends has maintained his interest because of the
same reason, although he now does attend public school.
From what I see around me, as you get into the "teen" years you
either drop interest in Lego because you think it is "child's play" or if
you maintain that interest, many of your friends feel that it is "child's
play" so you are basically left to yourself in your interest.
If you were to allow JrFOLs to become members I would judge on their
maturity(thank you Eric for the compliment; I try to be) by looking at
Lugnet posts made by them, or asking people who know them. I don't
think it would be a wise thing to allow JrFOLs to be members if they can't
do things like accept responsibility for their actions, keep their temper
in
check, respecting elders, etc.

I guess the biggest reasons, that I'd like to become a member is because
I would like to know about what's going on in my area(New E), who
else is here for Lego fans, and cause I'd like to know about events that
are going to be happening in the area and to be able to be involved in
helping
with them in whatever way I can. I realize that I can do most of this on
Lugnet,
but....well I think you know what I'm trying to say.
I also feel that allowing a JrFOL to become a member should have the
acceptance of a few members, not just Eric.

There are my feelings on the whole issue, and I'm anxious to hear what
others have to say.

Ryan