 Local / United States / Maine / 118
Re: NELUG Turns 50!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:06:35 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> writes:
I just want to reiterate some things.

1.  NELUG was formed with the prime purpose of getting AFOLs together.

Now while I am sure that many of the older teenagers would be mature
enough to participate in these meetings I think that the presance of
younger fans may turn away some AFOLs.  I know that is not a nice
thing to say but it is an unfortunate reality.

2.  I am not here to alienate anyone.

Please do not take any of this personally.  I love hearing what you
have to say
and discussing LEGO with you on LUGNET and seeing your models when you
post
them.  Its just that NELUG was formed with an inital purpose.  That
does not
mean we can't grow or change it just means we can't turn things upside
down all
of a sudden.  Remember we are only 4 months old and while we have
enjoyed a lot
of initial success I don't think we want to rush into changing our
charter
after only 4 months.

3.  I want to include you in some way.

Whether that is at some sort of annual event, at public events like
Mindfest,
or helping you start your own group for folks <18 or all of the above
I don't
know.

If you have interest in getting your own under 18 group started I can
probably
help you.  I can look into setting up a mailing list.  Other than that
you have
the perfect tool for doing this right here.  I would suggest using
LUGNET for
all its worth.  Get a discussion going to see how many people you can
get
interested in such a group.  You can use LUGNET for setting up meeting
and
forming the group.  The mailing list would just serve the same purpose
as the
NELUG mailing list for exchanging Directions, addresses, phone #'s
etc.

I would also be happy to monitor this mailing list to make sure that
it is used
properly.  If you would like to be included on the NELUG web site we
would have
to discuss it.  Otherwise there are plenty of free resources for
hosting web
pages if you want to run your own site.  We could then have occasional
joint
events where we all get together.

All this being said I really am starting to feel like the big mean
AFOL here.
I would really appretiate people letting me know whether I am  being
unreasonable or if I am handling this well or not.  I really am not a
mean
person believe me.  Lets continue this conversation but why don't we
develop an
understanding that general NELUG meetings are for AFOLs and other
events are up
for discussion.  This is not to be mean this is just so that NELUG can
stay
true to its charter.

For more information on NELUG's origional charter please refer to the
FAQ page
on our web page.

http://www.nelug.org/FAQ/

Eric Kingsley