 Local / United States / Maine / 114
Re: Minors in LUGs (Re: NELUG Turns 50!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:01:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.me, Eric Kingsley writes:
with before.  Imagine this situation:  Someone <18 hears NELUG will be at an
event, and he is allowed to participate.  He brings a model to display, chats
with event attendees, etc.  Now he is off looking at something else, and
there's an accident.  A monitor falls down and breaks.  Owner wants money.
Kid was part of NELUG.

I realise it's more than a bit of a grey area, but since I don't think anyone
would find straightening out legal stuff like this to be fun, it's probably
better to just avoid them completely.

Well, again, check your local laws, but I'm darn near postive that they won't
be any different on the major point - which is to say if NELUG doesn't legally
exist, NELUG can't be legally liable.  The individuals involved can be legally
liable, but that is solved very simply by requiring anyone <18 is accompanied
by an adult. (parent/guardian) Liability in such cases is generally fairly
clear cut.

The real issue for me in all this, that has been brought up before, is what
about those <18 year olds that are not quite adults but they don't really
have friends that build/play/create with LEGO anymore.  This is similar to
Ryan's situation.  I would really like to support these "young adults" in
some way so that they don't have to have a 13 year dark age like I did.  My
problem is I don't know how to handle this other than to include them on the
mailing list and invite them to our "public" events.  Maybe we can do
something like have a cookout once a year that we can invite JrFOLs and
their parents to.

Well, I still think that a simple solution is to let them attend your
meetings, accompanied by an adult.  If they've got the maturity level to
behave, odds are they're going to be interested in talking about the same
stuff you are.  If they aren't, they're going to be bored stiff, and stop
coming.  The problem will resolve itself fairly quickly.  And so long as
you've got the 'accompanied by an adult' thing, your liability issues are no
different that they are with any other member.  (which is to say, you're just
as liable if Eric falls down your stairs as you are if Ryan falls down your
stairs).

Of course, it's not my club, so you can just ignore me. :)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/