 Local / United States / Maine / 109
Re: Minors in LUGs (Re: NELUG Turns 50!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:49:28 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.me, Ryan Dennett writes:

Eric, I don't want this to sound like arguing, because that's not what I want
it to be, but what happens if you get, say, a 18 or 19yo who acts up and isn't
on the maturity level that the group would like. How is it any different • saying
to him "your maturity level is not up to our standard. Work on it and come • back
in a few months and we'll see about your being a member then", then it would • be
saying it to a minor or their parent.

So, let me see if I'm following you here:  Because there's a slight chance it
might happen if we keep things 18+, we should open ourselves up a situation in
which it's more likely to happen?  Sorry, that doesn't follow.  It's a bit like
saying "you might get into a car accident just because you're driving your car,
so you might as well drive on the wrong side of the road, too."

Obviously, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it follows the same "logic".

If the parent has a problem with you
saying that about their child, then as I see it, you really wouldn't want that
parent at your meetings anyway.

No parent who thinks their child is mature enough to be in the group, but gets
asked nicely not to bbring them anymore, is going to be happy to hear it.

I'm not trying to turn your opinion to favor us JrFOLs

I want to make one thing clear:  I have no problem with JrFOLs.  LEGO is a toy,
after all, so of course there are people of all ages who like it.  I encourage
people to buy LEGO for their kids.  I have no problem with NELUG running events
geared towards folks of younger ages, like the cookouts mentioned before, or
play days, or anything like that.  But part of the reason I enjoy NELUG thus
far is that the atmosphere is, well, mature.  And while you certainly seem to
be plenty mature, the next person your age might not be, and suddenly NELUG is
making judgement calls when we allow you and not someone else.

(because like I've said,
I'm not going to be able to attend meetings, so it doesn't affect me), I just
want to see how you would solve a problem like I mentioned.

How would I solve it?  Well, frankly, I think it would solve itself.  My sense
of a lot of social matters is that they self-correct.  Who would keep going to
a place they were obviously not fitting in?  If it became terribly disruptive,
to the point where it was being commented on by NELUGgers to one another
constantly, then I would suggest we all sit down and speak to the person.

But, as I said, just because it *might* happen as things stand doesn't mean we
should open ourselves up to the more likely possibility of it happening with
younger folks.  And that's just one of *many* issues invloved with allowing
folks <18.

eric