 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5597
Re: 5 things I would like to see from TLC/Lego Direct...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:41:39 GMT

All AFOLs aren't created equal.  I'm an AFOL who's trying to keep to a
budget and manage my personal free time between my family and my bricks.  If
I have to buy three 10020s so I can build a proper B-unit (i.e. three gray
port holes per side like Brad Justus described at BricksWest 2002) it means
I probably can't afford some other set or sets in it's place.

Don't think that those of us with rather more substantal collections don't have
to prioritize as well.  I have ~202K bricks _from sets_, and probably another
10K from brickbay/link & other trades.  I still cannot build everything that I
have seen that I think is neat without resorting to bricklink for bricks.  I
have to do so on a regular basis.

(for example, I have been building Settle & Carlisle buildings for my railway-
had to order in doors for them, and windows (more white 2x2's

While many of the brilliant, creative, and inspiring AFOLs who
post to LUGNET are the type who buy ten copies of every set in a theme and
have 800,000 pieces in their Bricklink shops, some of us mere mortal AFOLs
don't have the luxury of being able to real-build any MOC we can conceive. • (snip)
Believe me I've browsed Jake's BI portal (and James Mathis's brickshelf
pages!)

I think I have a larger collection than James M does- not 100% on it, but IIRC,
he had somewhere like 150K.  It isn't just how big it is, but how diverse it
is.  And I _don't_ have anything like the biggest collection here, but have
more than enough to fill my basement!

James Powell