 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5592
Re: 5 things I would like to see from TLC/Lego Direct...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:

Believe me I've browsed Jake's BI portal (and James Mathis's brickshelf
pages!) many times and found tons of MOCs I'd love to build but despite my
significant collection of sets (typically only one of each) I doubt I have
the right pieces to build most of those MOCs I desire.  I've done the
exercise using Peeron and an LDraw parts list only to be repeatedly
frustrated that I just don't have the right number or color of key elements
that define the MOC.  It's a painstaking process and once again it's time
away from my family that if I'm going to dedicate to LEGO, I'd rather be
building.

Tangentially, I agree, the process of evaluating whether you have parts to
build a MOC and gaining the knowledge of who has what parts for sale to
complete it is indeed tedious.

However... watch for an upcoming release of BrikTrak... it will automate
much of this function, or so it is promised... you input your .mpd or .ldr
and it generates a list of what shops have how much of the parts you need so
you can make buying decisions with less time invested.

This does not dilute the point you're making but I did want to mention it.