 General / 51996
Re: Na na na na na na na na...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:37:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Damien Nesbit wrote:

   Greg, as a long time batman fan, I must admit that I’ve often been tempted to purchase one of those C3 sets, especially since I’ve seen them time and time again discounted almost to nothing. As cool as the figs did appear, I always opted against buying these toys in favor of spending my limited budget on actual Lego product. The major problem that I find with most clones is the limited compatability with actual Lego product, i.e. mega blok “plates” that are 1/2 a brick high, instead of 1/3 high like thier lego counterparts.

For the record, you’re probably thinking of Tyco, because the vast majority of Mega Bloks bricks are 1/3 brick-height. There have been a few half-brick-height plate over time (such as the 8x24, the 8x16, the 4x16, etc.) but Mega Bloks has never had a 2x4 plate half the height of a brick.

C3, the brand name under which the DC-themed sets have been marketed, likewise adhere to the 1:3 plate:brick height ratio.

   I suspect that the people at Warner (DC’s parent company, f.y.i. Marvel’s parent company is New Line) decided that the lesser brands of construction toys were not successful in exploiting the market potential that has come to be expected by the batman franchise.

Batman’s a property of DC Comics, so presumably a Marvel license would be irrelevant (except in terms of not wanting to associate too closely with one’s comic-competitor).

Marvel is at least happy enough with Mega Bloks’ treatment of the line that additional sets are due out for the 2006 product year.

Dave!