 General / 50300
Re: "The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:02:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
   A quick search turned up this (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4887) for example. Also try here (http://www.lego.com/eng/info/) for some words straight from the company’s mouth. To my knowledge TLC is correct.

Funny thing is, I found the company profile brochure (a PDF at “http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=facts”) and it offers no guidance on what the company itself should be called. It uses the term “the LEGO Company” often, but then the bottom of each page says the document itself is “(c) 2004 The LEGO Group.”

So I’m still interested in an official word on the subject from the company itself. What *is* the difference between the LEGO Company and the LEGO Group?

This recent LEGO press release might help clarify. From what I understand, “LEGO” is actually a group of different entities tied together by one or more holding companies, which are in turn owned by the founding family. To consolidate things, looks like they’ve chosen “The LEGO Group” as the name they want to be known by.

Kelly