 General / 50295
Subject:
"The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:18:54 GMT

Just a small question as I edit the Wikipedia article on LEGO
("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEGO"):

What, exactly, is the difference between The LEGO Group and The LEGO Company?

Is the Company owned by the Group?  Or did the Group change its name to the
Company at some point?  Or what's the distinction?

  - B

Re: "The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?
What, exactly, is the difference between The LEGO Group and The LEGO Company?

Is the Company owned by the Group? Or did the Group change its name to the Company at some point? Or what’s the distinction?
  1. B

There have been discussions here before about that very topic. A quick search turned up this (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4887) for example. Also try here (http://www.lego.com/eng/info/) for some words straight from the company’s mouth. To my knowledge TLC is correct.

A further comment about the article. The colloquial term “Legos” is a purely North American one as far I’m aware. It is also incorrect as pointed out by TLC itself. I realise of course that I am writing as someone with a specific interest in the subject but I think that is part of the idea of wiki’s anyway.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Re: "The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?
   A quick search turned up this (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4887) for example. Also try here (http://www.lego.com/eng/info/) for some words straight from the company’s mouth. To my knowledge TLC is correct.

Funny thing is, I found the company profile brochure (a PDF at “http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=facts”) and it offers no guidance on what the company itself should be called. It uses the term “the LEGO Company” often, but then the bottom of each page says the document itself is “(c) 2004 The LEGO Group.”

So I’m still interested in an official word on the subject from the company itself. What *is* the difference between the LEGO Company and the LEGO Group?

Re: "The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?
   A quick search turned up this (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4887) for example. Also try here (http://www.lego.com/eng/info/) for some words straight from the company’s mouth. To my knowledge TLC is correct.

Funny thing is, I found the company profile brochure (a PDF at “http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=facts”) and it offers no guidance on what the company itself should be called. It uses the term “the LEGO Company” often, but then the bottom of each page says the document itself is “(c) 2004 The LEGO Group.”

So I’m still interested in an official word on the subject from the company itself. What *is* the difference between the LEGO Company and the LEGO Group?

This recent LEGO press release might help clarify. From what I understand, “LEGO” is actually a group of different entities tied together by one or more holding companies, which are in turn owned by the founding family. To consolidate things, looks like they’ve chosen “The LEGO Group” as the name they want to be known by.

Kelly

Re: "The LEGO Group" or "The LEGO Company"?