 General / 47687

Subject:
Tracking Pick-a-Brick inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:04:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I read with interest the annoucement over in .lego about www.pabtrak.com
and, having visited the home page and read what the site aims to achieve, I
thought I'd let you all know about what we in the Brickish Association have
been using to track P-a-B selections in the UK for the last two years or so.

We have our own 'bulk tracker' which until now has been available only to
members, and which is updated by members as and when they visit the various
outlets.

In the interests of generating interest in the subject and maybe influencing
Richard's development, I have produced a version which is available on the
public side of our website at http://www.brickish.org/bulktracker/.

This public version lacks the ability to update the inventory, which still
needs to be done by BA members, but otherwise it's feature complete. As you
will see it is only really useful for UK shops, because although we have
some other outlets listed they are not updated very often, due, of course,
to the majority of our members being UK based.

To take it to the stage where non-members can update it requires a bit of
work that I haven't found time to do, and to be honest the addition of new
parts into the system would need improving prior to any wider launch. But,
it has served us well and is appreciated by our members.

I look forward to seeing Richard's system, and welcome your comments about
mine.

Huw
Webmaster and vice-chairman, The Brickish Association, www.brickish.org

Re: Tracking Pick-a-Brick inventories
[...]

Hi Huw,

My apologies - I hadn't realised that there was already an online tracker
out there.
I certainly hadn't intended stepping on anyone else's toes with PaBTrak - I
saw that people were recording inventories in many different areas and
wanted to develop an easily updatable, community driven centralised site.

It looks like it may be in our interests to help each other out - either
with the sharing of data of perhaps more...
I'll contact you by email to outline my plan for PaBTrak, and see if there's
anything we can do together.
Once again - sorry if I stepped on the The Brickish Association's toes
there.

Richard.

Re: Tracking Pick-a-Brick inventories
My apologies - I hadn't realised that there was already an online tracker
out there.
I certainly hadn't intended stepping on anyone else's toes with PaBTrak - • I
saw that people were recording inventories in many different areas and
wanted to develop an easily updatable, community driven centralised site.

It looks like it may be in our interests to help each other out - either
with the sharing of data of perhaps more...
I'll contact you by email to outline my plan for PaBTrak, and see if • there's
anything we can do together.
Once again - sorry if I stepped on the The Brickish Association's toes
there.

No need to apologise, sorry if my message suggested that you needed to.

My effort has until now been a 'club benefit' for BA members. I had intended
to develop it further  but never got round to it. And now, like you, I too
am involved with another community project, so I won't have time to do
anything soon anyway.

I'll be happy to share ideas, experiences, code etc. with you. With your
BrikTrak technology behind it yours will be more powerful than anything I
could produce anyway.

Huw

Re: Tracking Pick-a-Brick inventories