 General / 39787
39786  |  39788
Subject:
LEGO and me--was Re: How Lego Saved My Life (Long Post)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:

<snip>

May Lego help bring happiness to your lives in as many ways!   :)
-Hendo

PS I'd love to see your stories of indirect ways this hobby has impacted you!!

Wow, long story--glad it's going someplace better, i.e. not drinking to excess.

My story will be a bit shorter...

LEGO has always been a part of my life, since before I can remember.  There
are pics of me sitting amongst LEGO when I was around 2.

Lets see--built with LEGO w/ friends thru the public school years--all we
had were basic bricks ('When I was a yun buck, all we had were 5 colours and
we *liked* it!--you kids today with all your fancy colours!!')

Then high school, just after '79, when the space sets were released--made
Star Wars type novies, so that got me thru my high school years.

And into college, with Technic, building rudimentary 'bots that conencted to
my 64, and radio controlled stuff...

And just kept right on going, with no signs of waning.  If there's something
not quite right with it, is that I have been told I spend way too much money
on this hobby of mine.

I look at it this way though--if I spent 8000 dollars over 3 years on LEGO,
today I still have 8000 dollars worth of LEGO.  I mean I know I won't get
8000 dollars if I sold my whole collection today, but, for me, they're still
worth the funds--as long as I'm not living 'hoof-to-mouth' and I have some
spare cash and there are no other pressing needs--more LEGO.

If i spent 8 grand on a car, or 8 grand on booze, or 8 grand on
'perishables', first I wouldn't have that value today, and secondly--you buy
a set, see, and this set gets mixed in with all the other sets 'n
pieces--thus increasing the fun and ways to build, and what you have, even
when you're *not* spending money on it, is still a great time!  I can go
months without *buying* LEGO (though is hard to be sure ;) ) but creating
and such--whenever I have a moment :)

Is a good time, good hobby, and I meet all sorts of interesting and fun
folks who share this little hobby of mine.

As long as this hobby doens't impact on family, friends, and fellowship, I
have no worries at all about my LEGO 'addiction' at age 35

Hi,

My name's Dave and I'm a LEGOhohic.

Dave K