 General / 39834
Re: How Lego Saved My Life (Long Post)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 03:11:00 GMT

Way to go, Hendo!  I am very glad to hear that you were able to pull
yourself out of a bad cycle and am also glad that lego was part of that.
Here is my story.

I am a foster parent.  I currently have three foster children and one
biological child in my home.  Things can be very chaotic around my house!
The foster kids have a variety of special needs that I won't go into right
now, but suffice to say, they are not minor issues.   I also have to deal
with the weirdness of the state system on a daily basis.  There have been
(and continue to be) many days were I feel like I have crossed over the
brink of insanity.  I do enjoy what I do, but it is sometimes just plain
crazy around here.  The feelings are often flying about almost in physical
form!  (What would a lego sculpture of pain and suffering look like?)
Anyway, I will just say that I deal with a relatively high level of stress
every day.  Legos are the best stress relief I have ever found.  They aren't
destructive in anyway.  They are the complete opposite; completely
constructive by nature.  I freely admit that I am an adult legoholic.  Some
people around me think it is weird, but so what?  There is nothing like
sitting at the dining room table after the kids are in bed, with a huge pile
of legos in front of me, and building until midnight.  I think ABS plastic
absorbs stress and tension.  Throw away your Prozac and buy some lego!

Another good thing about lego is that it has helped me get to know some of
the kids who have been in my home.  It is amazing to me how many good
thoughts and soul searching can happen over a pile of legos.  I have a big
10 gallon tub full of legos that I let the kids play with fairly often.  So
many great conversations have taken place because of that tub.  If I want to
spend time with a kid in a non-threatening environment, but want to ask some
hard questions, I dump that tub out on the table and we dive in!  In fact,
it has created two major lego maniacs, two brothers in my home right now.
My wife and I am in the process of adopting them, though their passion for
legos had no bearing in our decision to adopt them :).  What a great toy!

28 years old and building!
Josh

May Lego help bring happiness to your lives in as many ways!   :)
-Hendo

PS I'd love to see your stories of indirect ways this hobby has impacted you!!