 General / 39786
Re: Why is Lugnet so quiet these days?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:47:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
Well, Huw, I also have noticed that things have been quiet lately.  With the
exception of .off-topic.debate, the usual groups I read seem to all be
getting about half the messages they normally would (or less in some cases).
I know it is a normal thing that invariably someone points out from time to
time that there are slow times.  Many of these slow times coincide with a
major holiday or changes in schedule for those who are in school.  For those
in college, this is probably the time of semester final exams.  However, I
think things have been generally slow (with the exception of a few threads)
for the past several months.
Also can't forget the poor souls in regular school who have homework
through the roof and mainly due the next day.  NTM, theres a lot more
snow on the ground now, and its always good to go play 'King of the Hill'
instead of typing.

I couldn't begin to give a scientific reason why this is.  But I thought I
would respond to your post since to do otherwise would certainly only
contribute to the problem.  I can offer a few guesses though: Some people
are in exams; others (like me) work for companies where there is a busy time
at the end of the year for holiday sales; others (also like me) work for
companies who get busier at the end of the year because of a workload that
relates to finalizing the fiscal and inventory details of the year; others
might be busy with family events for the holidays (depending what country
and culture they are in); and others might simply (hopefully) be involved in
some huge building projects that have taken them away from the PC in favor
of the real brick.
Last ones me but I tried to fit LUGNET in and it kinda cost me.
Hence why Im only posting b/c its a snow day.

This latter bit shouldn't be taken lightly as a theory here.  Unlike in
previous years, there are more group projects and community building ideas
than ever before here on Lugnet.  In .castle there are people busy building
Marketplaces and Towns based on group formats.  In .space there are people
busy building Moonbases and ships for the Starship RPG.  Not to mention the
usual things like the Annual Space Building Contest (Futuron this year I
believe).  And that's just two themes.  Maybe I am wrong, but I am hoping it
has been quiet because at least some of us are building.
That's the case for me.

Still, you are correct that there are not at least a few more posts.  Again,
I can't say why for certain.  ...As for the lack of new-year catalog
reports, all I can say is that I normally steer clear of any such threads
until at least after Christmas anyway.  For me a new Lego year doesn't start
until December 26th, and I'd rather wait and be surprised after I have the
chance to get some gift money.  So on that issue, I cannot comment.
I've noticed the drop too, and sometimes its because theres not that much to
talk about.  I noticed 3 things that come up continually, and thats MM,
Mechastruct, and some space.  People probably are, like me, planning on
comin back with a ton of MOCs to share.
Hasta la Vista, Sean

Cheers,
-Hendo