 General / 25452

Subject:
Confessions of a LEGO Maniac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:30:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

OK.   This is rather odd but I'm just wondering if I'm doing OK in the head
here or I've just not grown up and don't know it.

For the record, I'm 29.

Currently, I have a large number of LEGO sets that I've gotten since I was
4.  There were some from my childhood that I relied on Christmas and
Birthdays to provide, and then some when I got to be 26 and had disposable
income to actually purchase large amounts of sets.  In the last oh three
years especially have I really gotten serious about picking up old sets I've
always wanted as well as purchasing anything LEGO system related.

I'm wondering, Am I the only one that walks by a set, for example, the
Explorian Starship is sitting downstairs, broken (meaning ship got a wing
knocked off, not the pieces) but I find myself wandering by in the afternoon
when no one is around and literally playing with it.

I don't mean picking it up and trying to fix it, I mean having the little
conversations of the men trying to figure out what happened to their ship
and trying to get it repaired (not outloud, just in my head).   Opening up
the bay and exposing that Explorian Blue Core thing and acting like it's the
main power source trying to come online or something along those lines.

These are the kind of things I did as an 8 - 12 year old when the classic
space sets came about.  I'm just wondering if anyone else around here
actually reverts to their child like minds and just 'plays' or does everyone
around here just think of these as stuff to design models with?

Tom

Re: Confessions of a LEGO Maniac
[...]

Heck ya, I do that all the time.  I'm 27 and I catch myself doing that too,
having the minifigs carry on silly conversations and the like.  I'm not
really ashamed of it, but I can see how 'grown ups' would think that as a
little odd.  I have a friend who goes one step further and whenever she gets
a new minifig, her other minifigs react differently to the new member of
their population- some are shy and hide, some are curious and go introduce
themselves, they all have names and personalities.  Whatever you choose to
do with your LEGO is up to you, you can either buy it to keep it in the box
hoping to turn a profit later on or you can have a whole civilization with
interaction among the populous and have a lot more creative fun with it.  =)
If you're going to play, *PLAY!* =)

~Nathan
www.castle-world.org

Re: Confessions of a LEGO Maniac
These are the kind of things I did as an 8 - 12 year old when the classic
space sets came about.  I'm just wondering if anyone else around here
actually reverts to their child like minds and just 'plays' or does • everyone
around here just think of these as stuff to design models with?

    What is a model of a spaceship for if not for spinning it around in your
lego room making 'rrrrrrrrnnnnn!' noises?

    Or, to put it another way, yes, I play with them.

-john

[...]

Well… if your imbalanced, then I'm totally   --==Insane!==--

I'm 21 years old and go to York University.  (For the record)

  I collect Castle Lego; my troop force is around 560 men. I love Medieval
BrickWars and have become quite enthralled with the dynamics of my Army. I
refer to my little plastic ABS minifigures as “my men” and occasionally
mutter orders out loud! My mother has been known to periodically question my
sanity when I give commands to one of my divisions. I can be over heard
saying “Into the BREACH!!!” or “Release the dogs of WAR” and “Flank the
incoming marauders.”

I attempt to disguise my ‘playing’ by calling it a hobby, or through
discussing the dynamics Warhammer® and applying it to my Lego games. But
even through the relevance of such actions, I still simply ‘play.’ I become
the Dark Lord of my Army and use my imagination just as I had when I was eight.

Nothing has changed… (Well, I’m now 6’1, go to University, and teach
Kickboxing at Twin Dragons Martial Arts club.)  However, the manner in which
I enjoy my Lego has remained relatively the same. (Well, my architectural
prowess has developed, and now with my resources I can create actual
existing castles to minifig scale, or simple design proportionately huge
super structures.)

Therefore, no matter the level of lunacy, or the way in which you play, any
facet of creative imagination is a positive endeavor. Simply enjoy what you
do, and always remember… “Just Imagine”®

           Sincerely,

                            Richard

You can reach me @ SHROUD_OF_KUNG_FU@Hotmail.com

-Lego good, Canada great-®

Re: Confessions of a LEGO Maniac
OK.   This is rather odd but I'm just wondering if I'm doing OK in the head
here or I've just not grown up and don't know it.

You say that as if it were a bad thing...

These are the kind of things I did as an 8 - 12 year old when the classic
space sets came about.  I'm just wondering if anyone else around here
actually reverts to their child like minds and just 'plays' or does everyone
around here just think of these as stuff to design models with?

No comment, although my wife could tell stories of spacecraft making
landings atop her head...

Re: Confessions of a LEGO Maniac