 Color / 1427
1426  |  1428
Subject:
Still no answer, but the new piece rule is nice to hear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:28:55 GMT

   But Mads Nipper, the company’s chief of product innovation, worked closely with Bali Padda, who oversees the supply chain, to devise a series of day-to-day solutions to the paradox of constraints. Nipper and Padda recommended slicing the palette of roughly 100 colors in half. They also recommended cutting back on the thousands of different police officers, pirates, and other figures in production. The team took a deliberate approach, building on the resin-sourcing work to analyze the true costs of each element and identify those whose costs were out of line with the rest of the stock. This initiative, coupled with the resin pilot, helped the Lego Group cut its resin costs in half and shrink its supplier roster by 80 percent.

Hmmm, I thought this might be the passage in question, but I don’t see how this paragraph infers any connection between the new resin pilot program and its effect on the remaining colors. The only possible explanation that I can imagine is that the old gray, dark gray and brown colors were part of the batch that were eliminated in order for the new resin pilot program to be fully effective. However, that’s not stated here and that interpretation is way too much of a stretch for me to accept based on the wording above.

   At the same time, the operational team put a process in place to help designers make more cost-effective choices. Team members devised basic rules regarding the creation of new colors and shapes and spelled out the requirements for ordering new materials. They also created a cost matrix, clearly showing the price associated with each change. Once the costs of innovation were clear, designers were urged to use existing elements in new ways, rather than devise new elements requiring new molds and colors. The initiative encouraged the designers to think in terms of price trade-offs when they were developing a new item: Yes, you can give sparkling amber eyes to your new Bionicle space alien action figure, but it may limit your choices on its claws.

As others have said, it’s kind of jaw-dropping to hear that this kind of design approach was not a core value of set design from the very beginning. I’m definitely in the camp of AFOL’s who will look forward to more innovative set design through the use of existing pieces rather than the explosion of many new ones whose useful applications are often limited.

Dave S.